Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Butternut Squash Gratin


I think that this was supposed to be a side dish.  I made this when my husband was working and I ended up just eating this as a main dish.  It was completely delicious and filling.

My only complaint was that that I wish I had made more and had leftovers. 




Butternut Squash Gratin
Adapted from As Good As Gluten

4 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into small chunks
3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup apple, finely chopped
1 egg
1 egg white
3 tbsp. mayo
1/3 cup breadcrumbs, I used gluten free
4 oz. cheese, I used sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste

Grease an 8 in. baking dish with cooking dish. Place diced butternut squash into a microwave safe bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cover and steam on high for 3 - 5 minutes.

Heat a pan with cooking spray and add onions and apple, stir until softened, about 4 minutes.  In another bowl, beat egg, egg white, salt, pepper and mayo together.  Add 1/2 of the cheese, breadcrumbs, onion, apple and squash. Spoon into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake for 45 minutes at 350 until cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Serve hot. 

One Year Ago...










Honey Lime Enchiladas

This is linked with:
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at 21st Century Housewife
Tasty Tuesday at Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.




14 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I am such a sucker for anything gratin. I have a jar leftover of buternut squash puree... I wonder if I could use that with potatoes to make a gratin extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The complaint that there was just not enough, is a really good compliant. THis looks delicious. Who says it can't be an entree? (smile). We would probably be all a little healthier if this served more as our entree.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic. We love butternut squash. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find myself eating a side dish or an appetizer and make a meal out of it. I say go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a huge butternut squash fan, but that looks so delicious, I may yet to become a fan!

    http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, that does sound good! And yeah, I do the same thing, I will even turn dips into meals! lol I don't know if I ever told you, but I made your zucchini spaghetti for V-day and it was sooo good. I could eat that every week. I posted it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love butternut squash. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm butternut I think is my favourite vegetable. Yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so delicious. Perfect for summer garden picking! Come visit us. We have some wonderful things to share this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your butternut squash gratin sounds wonderful, and it looks so delicious too. I like the addition of the apple, and the cheddar cheese would give it such a lovely, zesty flavour. I could definitely eat this as a main dish too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the addition of apple great with cheddar. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful and simple too, can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for trying and linking up to it in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine is in the oven baking right now...smells delish...!!!

    ReplyDelete