Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blueberry & Cream Baked Oatmeal


The only oatmeal I used to eat was out of a package.  I wasn't a huge fan of it but at one time in my life, I thought it was a healthy alternative breakfast.  Well, now I KNOW that oatmeal is healthy and it doesn't come from a package filled with sugar. 


I love how this uses honey instead of sugar.  This is still sweet and totally tasty.  I didn't get a picture of it but I ate this with a small dollop of vanilla yogurt. Perfect!


Blueberry and Cream Baked Oatmeal Recipe
Adapted from Finding Joy in my Kitchen

3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup honey
3 cups oats (I used quick but regular would be fine)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used fresh)

Mix the dry ingredients; oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Add Greek yogurt, honey, milk, egg and vanilla.  Stir to combine.  Toss in the blueberries and stir until well combined.  Pour into a lightly greased 8 x 8 in. pan. Place in the oven at 350 degrees. Cover with a cookie sheet for 25 minutes, then remove cover and continue baking for another 20 - 25 minutes until center of the baked oatmeal is set.

Total calories = 1805 calories
9 servings - 200 calories per serving

Two Years Ago...







Sweet Potato, Potato Salad

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at 21st Century Housewife
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday
Whole Foods Wednesday at This Chick Cooks
Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.





18 comments:

  1. If I only had some yogurt on hand... I would have jumped up and made this oatmeal recipe for breakfast. I will soon though. It looks wonderful!! I checked out your sweet potato/potato salad recipe. Yummy.
    Have a great day.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie - does this keep well overnight or freeze well? It looks amazing, however, I don't think I can wait an hour for my oatmeal (I eat packaged oatmeal at least three times a week at work). And if it keeps, I could make it on the weekend and use it during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMM! Love anything with blueberries and this looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is different and sounds really good. I love oatmeal and will be getting some blueberries for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 200 calories a serving is not bad at all - love it! I'll save this for when blueberries are on sale - they were 3.99 a pint last weekend - no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi...I shared this very recipe myself recently!!I looove all things oatmeal and this is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbi...I shared this very recipe myself recently!!I looove all things oatmeal and this is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! I'm bookmarking this for when I harvest my blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbi, did you think about making this with steel cut oats? I much prefer those to the flakes, but the recipe does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. never made baked oatmeal, but others have raved about it. I like how this one sounds and looks and want to give it a try. Maybe I will use blackberries instead of blueberries, cuz they were on sale this week and blueberries were not!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! I know a few avid oatmeal eaters who will be devouring (literally) this recipe. :-) Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Looks like a delicious healthy cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen your recipe on a few sites and I can't stop thinking about it! This is such a great,healthy way to make oatmeal. We would love for you to come share it with us at Kids in the Kitchen(Tuesdays): http://younglivingoillady.com/home/kids-in-the-kitchen-link-up-week-10/ Thanks and hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that looks good! I've never tried baked oatmeal, but it would be such an easy way to get everyone fed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe looks great! I would love it if you linked up this post to my blog hop for a chance to win a cookbook prize package: http://ow.ly/aj76a

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this on Whole Foods Wednesday! I can't wait to try this, it looks absolutely wonderful! Hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blueberry cream baked oatmeal looks so delicious, Debbi. What a wonderful, healthy treat to serve for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete