Monday, March 19, 2012

Waldorf Rice



I couldn't stop eating this. The rice cooked in the apple juice is so incredibly tasty in itself!  The with the crunch of the apple, celery and pecans; it just blew my mind.  This is for sure a keeper!



Waldorf Rice
Adapted from Easy to be Gluten Free

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
Apple juice
1 tsp. salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 apple, unpeeled, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans (not too small)

Combine rice and the appropriate amount of apple juice (liquid) in a pan.  Cook until about 1/2 way done.  Stir in celery and cook until rice is done.  Add chopped apple and pecans, stir to combine and serve. 

One Year Ago...






Orange Amish Friendship Bread

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Just another Meatless Monday at Hey What's for Dinner, Mom?
Made from Scratch at Living with Food Allergies and Celiac
Whole Foods Wednesday at These Chicks Cook


11 comments:

  1. We tend to eat a lot of rice in our house and since it isn't a food that my daughter is particularly fond of, I have to find ways to spruce it up. This sounds exceptionally tasty and will definitely have to give it a try. I plan on making pork chops this week and I think this would be a great side dish. I usually make my rice with a 50/50 ratio of chicken broth and OJ, but never even considered using apple sauce! Thank you for sharing in 'Made From Scratch' this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops...that was supposed to be apple juice, not sauce. Me bad :P

      Delete
  2. Love this one Debbi - I love apples and pecans together. Hope you had a great birthday yesterday! I was supposed to be taken out to lunch today, but that didn't work out so I am eating Subway and reading blogs :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect for a lunch for me, I love the sound of the apples in it!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOohh this looks and sounds sooo good!! I'd like a big bowl now please! This sounds so good - I don't think I'd ever have done this before now. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the crunch of pecans--this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I could eat rice every day of the week. And to have it be a little sweet and a little savory is the best! This looks scrumptious! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore jazzed up rice...and this recipe sounds so easy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We often cook rice in coconut water, but haven't branched out. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waldorf Rice! What a delicious, fun flavor combination! I can see why you couldn't stop eating this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete