Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oatmeal Parmesan Chicken Tenders


I have been trying to reduce the processed food in the house.  Chicken nuggets have been one of the biggest favorites around the house for a long time. I've been trying to find a chicken nugget recipe that the boys will actually like!


I loved the oatmeal parmesan breading with these chicken nuggets.  They cooked nicely in the pan and crisped up without too much oil. 



While I loved the thyme in these, the boys weren't as thrilled.  So, the following week, I made them again using a barbecue seasoning.  They were a hit!  I think you could pretty much use any seasoning so go ahead and experiment!

Oatmeal Parmesan Chicken Tenders
Adapted from Extraordinary Life

1 cup oats
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp. thyme, dried (or BBQ seasoning or other seasoning)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 chicken breast tenders
1 egg, beaten- placed in a shallow bowl

Place oats in a food processor and process until ground. Add parmesan cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.  Pulse to combine and place in a shallow bowl.

Dredge chicken in egg and then in oat mixture.

Heat pan with just about a tablespoon of oil (or bacon grease).  Place tenders in pan for several minutes until browned and fully cooked.


One Year Ago...






This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helens Country Cottage



Summer Squash and Corn Chowder


7 comments:

  1. I love that you put oats in the breading! Makes it so much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see this easily becoming a hit in our house! Yum! Love the oatmeal breading idea :) Happy to be your newest follower, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me that I really need to share my breadless breading recipe soon, I think of you every time I put it on fish and chicken--it's so good!! So much better than bread crumbs and similar to this idea here. I love the flavor and texture that breading adds--this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The oatmeal breading is a great idea. I'm a sucker for chicken recipes too...love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Debbi,
    Looks like you found a great solution to the nugget for kids, I just can't do the "parts" thing. This looks like a great recipe. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like really nice, delicious, homemade, healthier chicken nuggets. yes please :)

    ReplyDelete