Friday, March 2, 2012

Jalapeno Cheddar Corndog Muffins



I've been trying to cut processed food out of my life.  Trying, but not always succeeding.  These little babies tasted like an awesome corn dog and were perfect with chili. 

I made half with the hot dogs and half without. That way I could rationalize having two muffins with dinner.  Of course I had to try them both!  I'm happy to say that they were delicious with or without the hot dog.




Jalapeno Cheddar Corndog Muffins
Adapted from As Good as Gluten

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 egg
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
10 - 12 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 4 oz.
4 hotdogs, cut into thirds

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease 12 muffin tins with butter or cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine ingredients from cornmeal to baking soda.  Stir well until no clumps remain. Fold in jalapeno pieces and cheddar cheese.  Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin.  Place a third of a hot dog into the middle of each muffin tin, then bake for 20 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. These look and sound amazing! Funny I was craving corn dogs today! This is a much better idea!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a much better option than the packaged corn dogs that is for sure. I love the jalapeno in here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they were just as good without the hot dogs! Jalapeno and cheddar together just can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest, and I thought they looked really good. I'll have to try these out. I'm sure my toddler would love them with hot dogs in them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're totally making me CRAVE corn dogs. And you know, they do make hot dogs without the nitrates and stuff, so they aren't as bad for you. Of course, I'm pretty sure those aren't offered in the lower fat varieties. Sheesh, I think I'm going to have to make these-they're really stuck in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea. I love using chilis in cooking for that bit of a slight kick they give.

    ReplyDelete