Monday, March 12, 2012

Island Chocolate Oat Bars


Confession; I have never been to Starbucks. I'm not much of a coffee drinker so it doesn't occur to me to go there.  I even won a Starbucks gift card (thanks Biz) but ended up giving it away to some full time preaching pioneers.  I know I could have gone and gotten some hot chocolate but I knew they would appreciate it more being outside in the cold winter so much.  Anyways, I haven't been to a Starbucks so I clearly haven't eaten their Island Oat Bars.  




The Island Oat Bars were great, I'm not sure where the "Island" part comes from. I would have thrown some coconut in the food processor with the oats if I had had some.  They turned out great though and they held together nicely but I did cook them longer than the original recipe called.  Oh - I added chocolate chips too.  You can never go wrong with chocolate chips!  The kids completely loved them. 



Island Oat Bars
Adapted from Betcha Can't Eat Just One

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray an 8 x 8 in. pan with cooking spray.

Using a blender or a food processor, pulse 2 cups of the oats until they resemble a coarse meal. Mix together with the remaining oats.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the brown sugar, agave syrup and salt. Stir until all of the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and milk.

Add all of the oats to the pot and stir until everything is well combined.

Gently press the 1/2 of the oat mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.  Press remaining oat batter over chips and press gently. Bake for 25 - 30  minutes, the oat bars should be a very light golden brown.  Keep an eye on them not to burn or overcook.

Remove from the oven and cool completely before slicing into bars.


24 comments:

  1. Yummy! I wish I could find agave out here. I guess that's what happens when you live in the middle of the desert. LoL It's like the quinoa all over again. I keep seeing recipes with agave but I can't make any of them :'(
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the "island" part refers to Vancouver Island...it's wet, west coast rainforesty here so no coconuts here but some toasted coconut would be phenominal in these! :) I would be quite a few pennies richer if I avoided the starbucks visits! Looks like they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow those look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These loow so yummy and my guys would love them. Thanks for sharing.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bars look tasty. And re: Starbucks - if you're not a coffee drinker (heck, even if you are), you're not missing much compared to independent shops anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this nice easy and healthier cookie bar recipe you chose for SRC. I agree, some coconut would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great you were able to find a gluten free recipe and didn't have to tweak it! Except for the choc chips, which was a great addition. Sounds good! I too wonder about the "island" part. I guess Starbucks just wanted a cooler name than "oat bars." lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe is great, I have been looking for gluten free snacks as my tum has been playing up and I thought cutting out gluten for a bit might solve the problem. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to add I have also never been in a Starbucks :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I frequent Starbucks but have never seen these. I know if they stocked them here I would have bought one or two. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm These look good. Great pick! I have only been to starbucks a handful of times. It is a nice treat but pricey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing! When I think island, I also think coconut! Maybe I'll trying adding that to these bars! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbi,
    I sure wouldn't want to eat just one, these bars look awesome! It is fun cooking with you in the SRC and have a great week!
    Miz Helen
    SRC -B-

    ReplyDelete
  14. These bars look great. Love the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't frequent Starbucks but I sure could go for one of these bars with a good cup of French press.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  16. These bars sound fantastic Debbi, love the addition of choc chips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I am glad the Starbuck's card went to good use! :D My favorite thing at Starbuck's is their cinnamon chip scones - but they are 12 points each - ack!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how they're not choked with sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with previous comments, I like that they don't have a ton of refined sugar. My son would enjoy making these with me. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh I haven't seen these at Starbucks, but either way they have got to be better homemade. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never heard of these from starbucks, but I think they would be excellent with coconut. I love your cute heart-shaped plate :) Yay SRC! I hope you'll stop by Seasonalpotluck.com this month. Its artichoke month, and I'd love if you'd link up your artichoke recipes! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never worked with Agave before... does it freeze well? These sound amazing. Great SRC choice! I'm with you on the brownies, those sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love the way they look and they sound just perfect, I can take them to school!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are called "island" because they were made on Vancouver Island. Starbuck's cancelled the contract with the baker though, so they no longer carry them

    ReplyDelete