Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cranberry Salsa


Cranberry sauce has never been one of my favorites.  Although, my vision of cranberry sauce was the gel in the can.  Now, I know that some swear by that and love it but I never got into it.  So even when presented with a homemade cranberry sauce, I would pass.

My tastes have expanded and I have used cranberries in a number of recipes.  After seeing a number of sauces and salsa's, I decided to make one.


This homemade cranberry salsa turned out wonderful.  I used it for several things. The family ate it with ham. I ate it over my eggs the next morning.  I used it in a Cranberry Chicken Salad that was fantastic!  It would be fantastic over cream cheese and used as an appetizer. 

I am incredibly glad I tried this and I know it will be made again. 


Cranberry Salsa
Adapted from The Teenage Taste

12 oz. fresh cranberries
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
3 tbsp. orange juice
1/2 cup sugar 
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine cranberries and about 4 cups of water in a sauce pan over medium high heat.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2 - 3 minutes.  Drain.

In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, onion and cranberries.  Mix by hand, squeezing some of the berries to a pulp and leaving some whole.

Add the orange juice, sugar, salt and pepper.  Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

One Year Ago...







Sweet and Savory Roast



6 comments:

  1. I love cranberry sauce/relish. This sounds fabulous for meats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! Spicy kick! I like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can tell you from personal experience that I have never liked canned cranberry sauce a day in my life...but homemade is a whole other ball game. And this sounds like it would be also. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on canned cranberry sauce - ew! And growing up, my Dad used to make a fresh cranberry sauce with orange zest - I snubbed my nose at it then, but I am sure I would love it now.

    Next time I make pork chops I am making this sauce to go with it!! (of course without the onions!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbi, I love the look of this cranberry salsa - I would love this with a yummy smoked chicken salad :-)

    ReplyDelete