Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cranberry Bread - Gluten Free

I still managed to find whole cranberries after the holiday season was over.  This bread looked too good to resist.  It wasn't originally a gluten free recipe but I just subbed my gluten free flour and it turned out just fine.  Maybe a tad crumbly but it didn't stop us from devouring it in record time. 

This was a sweet bread with the slight tartness of the cranberries.  I only regret not making two loaves. 

Gluten Free Cranberry Bread Recipe
Adapted from Katie's Cucina

2 cups gluten free flour**
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 - 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries
1 tbsp. raw sugar

Grease and flour a 9 x 5 in. loaf pan.  Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.  Meanwhile combine egg, milk and butter in a small bowl.  Add wet mix to dry mix and combine thoroughly then stir in cranberries.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with raw sugar.  Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour 15 minutes.  Let cool for awhile and run a knife around pan to loosen bread.  Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

**This is how I make my gluten free flour blend. The basic recipe is 2 cups brown rice flour; 2/3 cup potato starch and 1/3 cup tapioca flour. Combine the ingredients together and then measure out however much you need.  I keep it on hand and use as necessary.

One Year Ago...

Buffalo Chicken Shepherds Pie

This is linked with:
Made for You Monday at Skip to my Lou
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory


  1. You have jewels shining in the bread.

  2. Growing up my Dad used to make a cranberry relish every Thanksgiving using fresh cranberries, oranges and orange zest. I was such a picky eater back then, I am sure I took 1/2 a teaspoon of it and said "no thanks!" I am sure I would love it now!

    I am still able to find fresh cranberries too! :D

  3. My daughter loves cranberries. I'll have to ask her if she'd like this, I don't have whole cranberries in the house, but I'm certain I have dried ones. I'm sure they'd be great too.

  4. Bet this is good! Love those cranberries!