Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Red Beans and Rice




I know, we eat a lot of beans here.  I just can't get enough of them. I probably have 50 recipes with beans, each recipe just a bit different from the next.  Yet, each delicious in their own way.

This one has sausage. Sausage rocks. It really makes this dish. 


The addition of sausage really pleased the husband as well.  Everyone really loved this. I know I'll be making it again.




Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Adapted from Dine and Dish

2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
2 (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. fully cooked smoked  sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
4 cups hot cooked brown rice

Saute celery, onions and garlic in a small amount of oil until tender. Add broth, beans, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, cajun seasoning and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Remove about 1 1/2 cups of bean mixture and mash.  Return to skillet. Add sausage, bring to a boil.  Boil 5 minutes or until bean mixture reaches desired thickness.  Serve over rice. 

One Year Ago...












Black Bean Butternut Squash Rancheros



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

12 comments:

  1. Always wanted to make this after tasting on one of our trips and her you gave me the healthy version; thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. shared a simillar recipe the other day one of my friends grew up on recipes like this so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat a ton of beans also, so I understand the addiction! They're so versatile, though, and always make for good eats. Like this great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, this sounds delicious! Bet your bottom dollar I'll be making it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT recipe! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday and share it with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    Sheryl
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=21694

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I'm always looking for bean recipes that are a bit different and this one looks super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rice and beans espcially now that is it so cold out there! I am going to have to hunt down some good cajun seasoning, I don't even think I own any. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post, thanks for sharing...,just wait a new post
    Thanks ya
    Diet Program

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! Wish I had seen it yesterday. It takes me so long to get around to reading all the Tuesday's Tasty Tidbit entries. I was craving red beans and rice. Yummy looking recipe. Hope you will come back this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so hearty and delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe sounds delicious. I always love sausages and beans together, and your recipe looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop, and Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This look delicious!!! I'm having a linky party, and would love it if you joined! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-3 Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete