Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tex Mex Black Beans

So I kept seeing these Austin Style Black Beans on several blogs that looked absolutely amazing.  I wanted to make them but deviated quite a bit from the actual recipe. 

Even though I altered the recipe. They turned out amazing and we all loved them!

I made some spicy taco meat along with the beans and we used both the meat and the beans for several meals. 

They may not look the prettiest but they for sure awesome.  Not only did we have tacos, we had potato nachos and I even put the beans on my eggs in the morning!  Yes, clearly I love beans.

Tex Mex Black Beans
Adapted from Girlichef

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chipotles in adobo, chopped or pureed
1/2 cup cilantro, divided
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 cup lime juice
Salt, to taste

Heat up large pan with cooking spray, add onion, carrot and garlic.  Cook for about 7 - 8 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients, cook for about 15 minutes.  Mash a few of the beans against the side to thicken. Stir and serve. 

One Year Ago...

Pumpkin Amish Cupcakes


  1. Actually Debbi these look pretty good. We love black beans at our house too. I like all your meals ideas. I have been wanting to try this one too after seeing so many posted as well. YUM!!!

  2. Debbi, I love beans too and eat them quite often. Black, kidney, white, pinto... I made vegetarian chili last night with 3 kinds of beans. (See recipe on my blog.) Beans are VERY good for you and are quite versatile. I will have to try your recipe above sometime soon.

  3. I may have to make this before I go Paleo - yum! Thanks for your tips Debbi! :D

  4. Yum! We are on the same wavelength! I just recently posted these tostadas: Glad to have found your blog!

  5. I am glad I check out your site and can’t wait to try the tex mex beans

  6. Tummy is growling and it wants these beans for breakfast! They look awesome, Debbi. Thanks so much for the link love =)

  7. Mmm, these really look delicious. Our family loves this kind of thing. Will have to try it!

  8. I'm a huge black bean fan - these sounds so good. Will pin the recipe for sure. Love the idea of serving them on eggs, and nachos, and....


  9. Debi,
    These beans would be delicious and I love the idea of having the Taco Meat along side. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

  10. Love festive dishes like this! Great photos! Thanks for linking to Foodie Friday! Not Your Ordinary Recipes

  11. Great informative post and i really likes your information, most of the peoples are likes your blog because its having the good knowledge. thanks for your good informative post.web site hosting