Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sweet Potatoes and Apples in the Slow Cooker




I saw a giant box of sweet potatoes at Costco. I picked them up without knowing specifically what I'd do with them.

Then we went apple picking.  Do you know how many apples you bring home when you bring 3 kids to the apple orchard? 

A lot.

So I quickly made up a double batch of this delicious and simple crockpot side dish. 

The only problem was I think I cooked it too long.  My apples turned into applesauce.  Oh well, it was still delicious.  But if you want to see some beautiful pictures of how it is supposed to look, check out the original recipe at Eat at Home.



Sweet Potatoes & Apples in the Slow Cooker Recipe
Adapted from Eat at Home


3 sweet potatoes
4 small apples
1/4 cup apple juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg

Clean, peel and chop the apples and sweet potatoes.  Put them in a crock of the slow cooker.  Stir in the apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Cook on high for about 3 hours, maybe less, until they are soft and done.

One Year Ago...







Pepperoni Pizza Pasta

This is linked with:
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent at SS&GF
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Favorite Thanksgiving Meals at Family Fresh Meals
This Weeks Cravings at Veggie Converter
Side Dish Saturday at Cinnamon Girl Recipes

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm I love sweet potatoes, never seem to see them here at this time of the year. They are not a common vegetable in France though I did grow them one year. Maybe I should have another go next year if I can get the seed potato. This recipe sounds good to me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I wouldn't have thought to put the two together. Seems like the apples would cook faster than the potatoes anyway. Mash it all together and use it as a puree in muffins or make a sweet potato/apple souffle. YUM!!! My mind is on a roll right now. Pinning it to my board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples and sweet potatoes are a great combination. A wonderful side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great flavor combination and I can make it in the crock pot!! So perfect!! I can't wait to try it out! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful combination! Thank you for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!looks so yum and delicious.sure will taste great...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think applesauce would be all that bad myself. I did go look and I think yours looks just as good....just different. Now I have to try it. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing with Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. Hope you will come back this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbi, this looks so yummy! And who doesn't love the slow cooker. Anything to help save time during the holidays ;)
    Would you PLEASE come share at my Recipe of the Week #3 Thanksgiving Favorites post? I think the readers would LOVE this one. Feel free to also add any other favorites you have. As always.. there is a small gift card for the winner :)

    http://familyfreshmeals.blogspot.com/2011/11/recipe-of-week-3-favorite-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum this sounds like a easy and yummy side dish Debbi, thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this combination! The apples are like the sauce for the taters - delicious! Thanks for linking it to Side Dish Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete