Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pumpkin Sloppy Joes






I think I could just about add pumpkin to anything.  Isn't it awesome?  Desserts, casseroles, soups and chili.  They all have a place with pumpkin.

And now, even in sloppy joes.


I ate mine over mashed potatoes.  I'm weird that way. I can't do anything normal. The rest of the family of course at theirs on buns.  

I'm going to find more things that pumpkin can be added.  Any unique ideas? 


Pumpkin Sloppy Joes

2 1/2  lbs. lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup tomato sauce (I used V8)
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can canned pumpkin

In a large pan, cook ground turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink.  Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and simmer for 20 minutes.  Serve on buns or for a gluten free option, serve on mashed potatoes.


One Year Ago...










Pumpkin Cornbread



9 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, this looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sound so good; I'm tempted.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! There is a turkey pumpkin chilli recipe on allrecipes.com that is super good. Might have to make that or these this week!!!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! I love that you served it over mashed potatoes. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of using pumpkin this way and I love pumpkin. There are so many good gluten-free buns now that I could even serve them as a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very innovative recipe, looks really good! Thanks for visiting & your nice words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really good! How obvious would you say the pumpkin flavor is? I just posted a delicious gluten-free dinner, too, Fish Provencal: http://plusothergoodstuff.blogspot.com/2011/11/one-pot-meal-baked-fish-provencal.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love variations on recipes using pumpkin. I am pinning this to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the 'not so secret' secret ingredient in these sloppy joes! I am sure the pumpkin gives a wonderful flavour. Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete