Monday, October 10, 2011

Lentil Chili



Nice and thick.  That's how I like my chili.  I loved all the lentils in this.  I don't make lentils enough and I need to start making them more!

I don't remember exactly how much broth I used, I think the recipe that I had called for 6 cups but I know I used less.  Like I said, I like it thick.  :-) 


Lentil Chili

1 lb. ground turkey (or a veggie burger if vegetarian)
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups lentils
1/2 can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder

Total calories = 1620 calories
10 cups = 162 calories

One Year Ago...








Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love lentils! This sounds mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lentils are so good. I always have a bag of them on hand. This is perfect for the up coming cold days.
    - Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to use lentils more often too - they are so cheap and filling - looks delicious Debbi! Happy Monday!

    p.s. not only did I get to the gym this morning but I walked 45 minutes at lunch today - woot! I need another good weigh in this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks AMAZING! Would love for you to come over and link up to my tasty Tuesday party!
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. I am always trying to come up with new and healthy chilis. In fact, I shared one at the Hearth and Soul hop too. After reading Alea's post I have decided to stumble a bunch of the entries and hope you could comment/stumble mine too :) http://www.copingwithfrugality.com/2011/10/monday-night-football-chili-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thick chili and lentil chili sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! That sounds interesting. I don't know what I do wrong, but I always manage to screw lentils up. They end up turning to ugly brown mush. Perhaps I should follow good recipes like this one rather than trying to wing it all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think lentils are the ultimate power food. Soo jammed pack with nutrients. Lovely chili.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastically nutritious, as well as delicious, chili! Thank you for sharing your lentil chili with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so ready for chili weather! In fact, I am making some tomorrow and maybe this would be a great recipe to try. Thanks for sharing it at Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete