Thursday, September 1, 2011

Slow Cooked Bean Casserole


You know what I love about this casserole?  It's super thick, it's incredibly delicious and it can be made in the slow cooker!  I'm pretty sure the original recipe was made in the oven and not the slow cooker but you know how much I LOVE my crock pot! 

It's not the healthiest with the sausage and bacon but really, it tastes SOOOOOO good! 

A little goes a long way too, as it is packed with protein, about a cup will fill you up completely!  My kind of food!


Bean Casserole in the Crock Pot
Adapted from One Crazy Cookie

All beans are the 15 oz. cans
1 can Pork & Beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can chickpeas
1 can black beans
1 can great northern beans
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons mustard
1 small onion, chopped (or about 1/2 cup)
1 Polska Kielbasa or beef smoked sausage
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 package bacon

Cook bacon, set aside.  Save 1 tbsp. bacon grease and saute onion and ground turkey until done.  Pour turkey onion mixture into crockpot.  Crumble bacon and add to crockpot.  Add beans and the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.  Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours.  Serve.

Oven Method:
Brown and drain hamburger. Cook bacon until crisp and break into pieces. Cut sausage into small pieces. Drain and rinse beans except the pork and beans. Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix together.

Pour into a 13 x 9 casserole dish and bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Total calories = 3667 calories
10 slightly heaping cups = 367 calories per cup


One Year Ago...









Taco Twist Bake





11 comments:

  1. My aunt makes something similar....in the oven. You know how I'll be making it next time?! In the slow cooker! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is right up my alley! What am I saying? All of your recipes are right up my alley! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beans...and I love a good casserole...so it stands to reason that I'd love this. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love my crockpot and grew up on beans and often serve them to the family now thanks for sharing this great recipe come see me what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful recipe!! I am always looking for new ways to cook beans. I think this one would be great for lunch... making a big pot of it Sunday night and then dividing it up. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOAH!!! 367 calories!!! That's a dinner in itself! YUM!!! I heart bacon. I think it's my middle name :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yum, I love beans! This looks so good.

    P.S. I mentioned you on my blog, come check it out. http://hunwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/09/7-links-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turning a casserole into a slow cooker recipe is ALWAYS a good thing! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you like it! I crave it every once in awhile and I always cook it in my crock pot! Thanks for the link up and your sweet words. You made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbi,
    The total calories on that casserole is scary. I don't think I can eat just one cup, I want the whole thing it looks so good. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. So filling and good for you. With our cooler weather, I'm ready for some tummy-warming dishes. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete