Monday, September 12, 2011

Quinoa & Vegetable Bake




One of the things that I don't like about egg bake casseroles is the crust.  You put a whole bunch of healthy things in a pan - over a crust that often doubles the calories.  Tasty, but just not as healthy.

That's why I loved the idea of this quinoa crust.  Quinoa is tasty, filling and healthy!


I love how versatile this is as well, you can sub different vegetables, different cheeses, whatever.  It's good. 

It makes a great breakfast, brunch or dinner. It's just really good.


Quinoa & Vegetable Bake Recipe
Adapted from Dinner at Christinas

Crust:
3 cups cooked quinoa, somewhat cooled
1 egg + 2 egg whites
Cheddar cheese, 2 oz. shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste

Filling:
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and moisture strained out
1 red pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
6 eggs + 6 egg whites
Cheddar cheese, 2 oz. grated
1/2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
Salt and pepper to taste

Beat egg in a medium bowl for the crust.  Fold in the quinoa and cheese.  Season with salt and pepper. Spray a 9 x 13 in. pan with cooking spray and sump the crust mix into the pan.  Carefully form the crust along the bottom of the dish and up the sides.

In a large bowl, add the veggies and the cheese.  You can pretty much use whatever veggies you like or have in the frig.  Beat the eggs and egg whites in the bowl you used for the crust.  Add eggs to the veggies and add ricotta cheese and stir until everything is mixed.  Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the egg/veggie mixture into the crust. Pop in the oven, uncovered for about 40 minutes. Check the center for doneness with a knife.  Let stand a few minutes before cutting into. 

Total calories = 2261 calories
8 huge servings = 283 calories per serving

One Year Ago...







Taco Seasoned Meat

This is linked with:

$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth & Soul at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at SS & GF
Gluten Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Homemaker


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. Great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I want to try this just for the crust...but the whole thing sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful way to use quinoa. I love the mix and the flavor. Thanks for sharing with My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious. The flavors sound amazing. What a great Meatless Monday option as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a crust. Packed with all kinds of good for you nutrients and packed with protein and none of the fat of a regular butter crust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks very yummy would love to try this

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really does sound delicious. I love the idea of using quinoa as a crust :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. quinoa crust is really clever...i love the idea. i also love that i can hide the quinoa from hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent idea with a quinoa crust! i'm always looking for new ways to use my quinoa!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fabulous and healthy. I am adding it to my "to cook" list. Thanks for sharing at Hearth and Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally forgot that dish from Christina - yours looks delicious Debbi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to make a healthy crust. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super idea, and your right, regular crust material is not on the healthy list (but I do love pie crust). Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds scrumptious, and so nutritious too! I also love how colourful it is. I've chosen this as one of my highlights for this week's Hearth and Soul post. Thank you for sharing another delicious and healthy recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made quinoa salads for a few years. This is really the first time I branched. I will do more of it. It turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. pennypincherforsixJanuary 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

    This was good but seems to lack some punch flavor-wise. I made it with chopped broccoli, peppers and onion. Next time I think I will try adding some chipolte diced tomatoes. I put salsa on mine tonight and that helped spice it up a bit. I loved the crust! It also made a lot so there's leftovers. Thanks for a recipe that I will be repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stumbled on this recipe and had to make it the same day. It was delicious! For more flavor I cooked the quinoa in chicken broth with a vegetable bouillon cube. I also threw in some curry powder with the vegetable filling. There's so much room to create within this recipe. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great sounding recipe. What temperature do I put the oven on?

    ReplyDelete