Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cincinnati Sloppy Joes



Sloppy Joes.  Pure comfort food in my book.  Many, many different ways to make them and they're all delicious.

I was intrigued by this Cincinnati Sloppy Joe recipe. I loved the idea of beans and chocolate in my sloppy joe.  



This was delicious. I ate mine over mashed potatoes.  I like to eat a lot of things over mashed potatoes.

Hubs of course still wanted a bun.  It's okay. I'll let him.  :-)



Cincinnati Sloppy Joes Recipe
Adapted from Rachael Ray

2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Cook ground turkey.  Add pepper, onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes until it softens.  Add all the spices and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the tomato paste, brown sugar and worcestershire, cook for another minute or so. 

Add the chicken stock and tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.  Add the beans. Serve on slider buns, sandwich thins or over mashed potatoes like I did.

Total calories = 1780 calories
6 servings = 296 calories per serving

1 serving sloppy joes + 2 servings mashed potatoes = 456 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...






Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

8 comments:

  1. These look great. After our trip to Cincinnati a few weeks ago, I have a new love for their famous chili. I'm sure I'd love these too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome idea over mashed potatoes I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! I'm not a big sloppy joes fan but these ones sound great. I'll have to give them a try:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on Sloppy Joes being pure comfort food. I love the rwist on this recipe. I must try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to try this soon! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eating chili over mashed potatoes! It's such a great way to get some protein and a lovely starch (lord knows I can't live without carbs!)

    Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbi,
    We just love Cincinnati Chili and I know that we would just love your Cincinnati Sloppy Joes. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, another good thing to do is eat chili over a baked potato. i guess it's not a new idea, but it's a good one! we had it this week at our house! love the sloppy joes over potatoes! thanks for linking to foodie friday. http://www.homesandbabies.com
    http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com
    http://cleangal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete