Monday, September 19, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars - Secret Recipe Club




It's time again for The Secret Recipe Club reveal!  It gets so exciting, doesn't it?  Amanda was the one who kicked things off with the whole thing!  Tina from Mom's Crazy Cooking is helping out for Group B.



This month I am paired up with Averie from Love Veggies and Yoga.  She has an awesome blog with tons of healthy foods! Healthy AND super delicious I should say!  I saved several recipes. I've already made the Banana Brulee Oats and she has a bunch of other oatmeal recipe I want to try! 

These oat bars were awesome. They kids loved them and we ate them all the first day. These will be made again and again!


Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars
Adapted from Love Veggies and Yoga

1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter, I used chunky
1/3 cup milk, 1%
1 1/2 cup oats, quick cooking
1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. splenda
1/4 cup pecan halves, rough chopped
1 tbsp. flaxseed meal

Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and milk in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring and checking.  Once melted and stirred together, add the rest of the ingredients.  You want this to be fairly dry, if it's not dry enough, add more oats one tablespoon at a time. 

Press mixture into an 8 x 8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until cooled and firm.  Cut into 10 slices.  You could also roll into balls as well for a finger snack. 

I put it through Sparkpeople.com recipes and these are the stats that I came up with.

Nutrition Facts
10 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 205.4
Total Fat 12.6 g
Saturated Fat 1.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 0.4 mg
Sodium 187.3 mg
Potassium 163.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 5.7 g

One Year Ago...







Hawaiian Rum Marinated Pineapple

37 comments:

  1. These look yummy! We need more healthy snacks. I will be giving these a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at peanut butter and chocolate ... these bars look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those bars sound really good. It's nice to see a bar with a sugar substitute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo... these look wonderful! I'm joining the SRC for the first time today - it was so much fun. I hope you'll stop by for a visit.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im always looking for a great bar recipe - this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from group B. So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Great Post!

    If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to drop by my blog and check out my SRC recipe this month: Avocado Omelet

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recipe for a grab and go breakfast option. These look so delicious. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbi, great choice for the SRC! They look good and I love that they're healthier than most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great recipe. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!!! I love a good granola bar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stats aren't too bad on these! Thanks for your comment today Debbi - I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids would love these. I am pinning these. I would much rather feed them a homemade oat bar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to try one of those bars for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the boys would LOVE these! Great job Debbi!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a healthier version of the no bake cookies that I love so much...must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look great. We make all our bars and cookies homemade. This will be perfect for my kids and husband's lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not a fan of peanut butter but my husband is going to love these bars! These are similiar to something I buy for him at the store now, and I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a simple treat and simply delicious, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's FUN making healthy foods! :-)
    Makes me feel good!

    Thanks for being in my Group for the SRC, if you have't already take a look at my PW Chicken Pot Pie. http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/pioneer-womans-chicken-pot-pie-secret.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you made these and enjoyed them. The SRC has been so much fun for me and I've "met" so many great people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These remind me of the no bake cookies that my daughter and I make. We'll have to give these a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those bars look really good - so glad you tried them out and they turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post, look good and yummy andi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmm, there's nothing ebtter than homemade bars, especially when chocolate and peanut butter involved.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look like a tasty snack! I've never worked with flaxseed meal, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

    Check out my SRC post if you like :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/09/septembers-secret-recipe-club-reveal.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this recipe - I love making things like this from scratch - then I know what's going into them.
    This is the perfect addition to school lunches or snacks after school. We will have to try this. Plus, peanut butter and chocolate? How can you go wrong?
    So happy we're in SRC together :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Averie at Love, Veggies, and Yoga. She has some of the best recipes! These bars look amazing. Chocolate and peanut butter together...there is no better combination in the world. I am sure of it :-)

    Great blog, I am new and can't wait to come back. I hope you will check out my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love when I come across a recipe and I have every single ingredient in my pantry! Looking forward to making these.

    I'd love it if you'd stop by my SRC post for Turkey Sloppy Joes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds really tasty and easy! Did you like them?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the sound of these super healthy oat bars! Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Please join our link up for *Project LunchBox* You have awesome recipes that can inspire others to make healthy meals at home http://su.pr/221xT1

    ReplyDelete