Monday, August 1, 2011

Black Bean, Corn and Zucchini Enchiladas



A few years ago, I would have thought that all enchiladas would have needed to be smothered in cheese.  Not just smothered, but oozing all over and having to sop up the extra cheese with more chips. 

While I know many are still cheese enthusiasts, I'm tending to rely on it less and less.

Don't get me wrong.  Cheese is tasty.  But if you add the right other flavorings, you won't miss it.  The only thing I did miss it for in this recipe was to stick all the goo together.  So if I added another 2 cups of shredded cheese, it might have stuck together better, but I don't think it would have been worth the extra 900 calories. 

If there is anything I've learned from cooking and blogging recipes, it's how to replace high calorie food with lower calorie tasty food.




These were good.  The sauce was flavorful and good, I think I would amp up the spice just a bit though.  Maybe add a can of green chilies, who knows.

We made these awhile ago and made 3 pans, well, all 3 pans are now gone and they were all wonderful!  They froze well and we loved them!







Black Bean, Corn and Zucchini Enchiladas Recipe
Adapted from From Apples to Zucchini

Sauce:
Cooking spray
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes

Heat cooking spray in large pan, add onion and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.  Add spices and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Enchiladas:
4 small zucchinis, chopped (24 oz)
1 lb. frozen corn
3 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
20 - 8 in. whole wheat tortillas (or corn if gluten free)
6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
Additional cheese if desired for top (not in calorie count)

Heat cooking spray and heat zucchini and corn, saute for a few minutes or until veggies are tender.  Remove from heat and stir in the beans.

Spread about 1 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 2 - 13 x 9 pans. Put about a tbsp. of sauce on the bottom of tortilla, 1/2 cup of zucchini/bean mixture and a small bit of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in pan.  Spread remaining sauce on top of enchiladas.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  You should get about 10 enchiladas per pan. I actually used one 13 x 9 for 10 enchiladas and 2 - 8 x 8 pans each with 5 enchiladas for the freezer.

Total calories = 4878 calories
20 enchiladas = 244 calories per enchilada

One Year Ago...









Apple Pear Waldorf Salad




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. Your vegetarian enchiladas look tasty yet very healthy and Yes, I would love add a can of green chillies to them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious, Debbi! I am at one of those high calorie blogs of which you speak, but I really should take a page from your book!
    Excellent recipe! Our zucchini and corn are coming in the back door right now, these enchiladas would be a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This version of an enchilada looks just fantastic. Cannot wait to try this. Come over and visit us today. We have a wonderful Southern speciality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe for "Meatless Monday". They look so delicious. I like the fact that these are healthier for you. I wouldn't miss the cheese since the flavors would more than make up for it. The can of green chilis would be a must for me. This is a great recipe and one I would love to try. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great combination. Must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this variation on enchiladas. I LOVE cheese but am lactose intolerant so I try to avoid it as much as possible. This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. I love your version and it sounds like it definitely doesn't need the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though they don't "have" to...I still like them to be ;) However, this looks delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE cheese, but I will agree with you, if you add the right ingredients you won't miss it. A lot of times food is smothered in cheese because the actual meal lacks flavor. I feel the same way about bacon. Everyone adds it to everything, and I think most of the time it's to make up for the lack of seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect! I happen to hate cheese, which makes it difficult to eat pizza. There's this whole process of scraping off the cheese and putting the other toppings back on. So, anyway, this recipe is perfect for me and I plan to make it before the week is out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so delicious. I thought I had already commented but can't find it. Love enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbi, I use to a frozen entree like this at Trader Jo's, now I can make them. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth n Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still learning to freeze extra and use for later. Do you leave them freezer portion uncooked prior to the freezing part? What kind of prep is needing once you decide to use them? Thaw? Straight to oven? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flemishe - I assemble them into the pans and cover with aluminum foil. Then I thaw them out and then put them in the oven. The cooking time might be longer as they are cold going in the oven but everything is cooked, they just need to warm up. Hope this helps! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, can you tell I was in a hurry?! I should proofread my posts! Thanks for the info Debbi! Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big time cheese lover but I'm abstaining for a healthier diet. Love the enchilada recipe and look forward to trying it.

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop last week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious. I have one child who is lactose intolerant and I love finding ways to replace cheese. I also love this will help my use up some of my zucchini! Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop. I will be featuring it my round up this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! Just found your blog through the Recipe Link-up and am a new follower! Check out my blog and follow back :)

    Can't wait to try some of your recipes!

    Thanks,
    Krista
    http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love finding new zucchini recipes! Great recipe Debbi. I have never put zucchini in enchiladas...and now I am so excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete