Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Corn Tortilla Mexican Lasagna


Remember me?  The flour tortilla lover?  It's all gluten free now so when I used corn tortillas for this soup and I had a bunch left over.  So I had to look for the perfect recipe for corn tortillas.

I think I found it.


This was a fantastic lasagna that we all love.  I'm starting to get used to these corn tortillas. Shhh!! Don't tell the flour tortillas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Corn Tortilla Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Adapted from Flour Dusted

1 1/2 lb. chicken, boneless breasts
1 large onion, diced
2 peppers, diced (I used one red and one green)
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp. fajita seasoning
1/2 tsp. chipotle seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
12 corn tortillas
Colby jack cheese, shredded (5 oz)

Combine the chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, brother and all the seasonings in a pan. Simmer for 40 minutes or so stirring occasionally.  Remove the chicken pieces and shred them with two forks.  Return the chicken to the saucepan and simmer for another 15 minutes.  Ladle about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid over the beans and mash them.  Stir the mashed beans into the shredded chicken mixture.  Stir in the diced tomatoes. 

Spread a small portion of the chicken mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.  Layer 6 tortillas on top. Spread 1/2 the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, layer another 6 tortillas. Spread out the remaining chicken mixture.  (I might have done 3 layers with 4 tortillas per layer, I can't remember). Top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 375 for about 30 - 35 minutes.

Total calories = 2850 calories
8 servings = 356 calories per serving


One Year Ago...













Apple Coleslaw


This is linked with:

No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Made it on Monday at Lark's Country Heart
My Best Recipes at This Chick Cooks
The Mommy Club at Crystal & Co.


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!

    My wish is that I had all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe! I'm cutting back on groceries in the next few weeks and clearing out the pantry and freezer...we picked up some essentials today and won't be shopping again until next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't share my wish because then it may not come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lasagna looks so darn good. I have recently become a corn tortilla lover after using flour tortillas for years. Great minds think alike! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish sounds really good. How lucky you were to get an Amazon gift voucher, pity I live so far away!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize how much I want mexican food until I saw this post! YUM.

    And woot woot for the fairy hobmother visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that I could eat Mexican food every day!
    annwwins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love casseroles like this...so yummy :) Fun giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your fairy hobmother visit! I hope she knows she has an open invitation to my blog anytime!

    I prefer flour over corn tortillas too, but your dish looks great.

    aseleener@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Mexican Lasagna and I haven't made it in ages. I usually make it with flour tortillas, but I think I'll try it with corn next time. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great, Debbi! I'm not a big corn tortilla person either, but this seems to be just the right dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good I think it will be dinner, thank you for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love casseroles! This recipes looks delish! Thanks for sharing :)
    lyndadawinda1074 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! DO you know what the fat per serving is?

    I have started a weekly linky. I would love for you to share a link to this recipe (and any others you want to share) over on my site.

    http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks really good.

    hewella1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, You so deserve a gift from the Fairy Hobmother and I am happy for you.

    I only use corn tortillas because hubby can't have gluten. You just gave me another recipe to use them with. I owe you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. kristina shieldsJuly 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

    yummy! it looks delicious! and thx for the giveaway!

    spicedice45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great dish, this looks amazing! Love your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Until I made the acquaintance with the Quick Weight Loss people, I had never eaten a corn tortilla. Now I have a small one every morning wrapped around an egg. I love the flavor...much more than flour tortillas. This dish looks absolutely delicious, Debbi!
    Lucky you with the Fairy Hobmother. I love the idea. An Amazon gift card solves the problem with U.S. bloggers! Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a flour tortilla lover, too, but sometimes those corn tortillas just taste better in a meal. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks delicious! Congrats on the visit from the Fairy Hobmother. What a great surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish for an under couter freezer!

    Jessie
    j_wilson04 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a wonderful surprise for you!
    * Would love the RED electric range! I mean WOW!

    This recipe is so flipping good! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, looks amazing :)
    littlegray88 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. From the site you shared, I'd like to have the Bosch KTR15V22GB Free Standing Fridge for my son who's on a gluten and casein free diet. Ideally he should have all his food in a separate fridge!

    From your site... I'd love to have a dish of this amazing Mexican meal you've come up with! I think I could easily alter it so my son could eat it too. Just need to use a cheese substitute and we soooo love Mexican!
    welindsey at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I'd love to win... I have plenty of wishes :) Getting ready for Christmas already!!

    atlantagalknows -at- gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks so good! My family loves mexican!

    ReplyDelete