Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chili Dog Casserole



If you're looking for a super healthy recipe, just turn away please. I promise we will be back to regular scheduled healthy recipes later.  But for now, I give you this. Chili Dog Casserole.


I could have and probably should have used turkey dogs, they are lower in calorie and healthier. But nope, just used regular old bun length hot dogs.

I also should have used a nice healthy homemade chili.  But nope, canned stuff with tons of sodium was used here. 

I also meant to reduce the cheese. I reduced the cheese in almost all my recipes. 
But nope, not in this one. 

The only thing here that could resemble healthiness is the whole wheat tortillas. But look what they are buried in! 


I gotta tell you though, this rocked. It was GOOOOOD.  I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis unless you are a marathon runner and can afford the calories, but for an every once in awhile treat, it was good.

I do think that should when I make this again, I will use homemade chili. I hadn't had canned chili in a thousand years so I forgot how plain it was.  I wasn't impressed. This would be great with leftover homemade chili. 




Corn Dog Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Allrecipes

2 (15 oz.) cans chili with beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 onion, chopped
8 hotdogs
8 whole wheat tortillas (corn tortillas if gluten free)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Mix chili and tomatoes in a bowl and mix until combined. Spread about 1 cup of mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. pan.  Lay tortillas flat, spread about a tablespoon of chili mixture, a bit of onion and a small bit of cheese (a tablespoon maybe) on bottom of tortilla, lay hotdog on top and roll inside tortilla. Place in baking dish, seam side down.  Continue with all tortillas. Top with remaining chili mixture, onions and remaining cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 425 for about 30 minutes. 

Total calories = 4180
8 servings = 522 calories per serving

One Year Ago...









Southwestern Butternut Squash





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. my family would LOVE this!
    ERIN
    http://eatingmywayback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. omgoodness, printing this. We eat healthy during the work week and like piggies on the weekend. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - I had to laugh "if you are looking for a healthy recipe, look away!" That's how I felt about posting Scott Conant's tomato basil sauce that has TWO CUPS of olive oil in it! But its so fricken good and life's too short not to have some indulgences once in a while, right??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good. I'm having a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday". This would be a perfect addition to my party. I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay this has my attention. I wonder why they named it a casserole, it reminds me more of an enchilada. Either way it sounds really good. I wish I had hotdogs on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrap everything in a tortilla! I think you should rename your blog! LOL!!! Love this one...looks perfect for a camping trip...in the crockpot of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, no wonder why I was in love at first sight with the picture on this one!! LOL... I have made a healthier version of this in my dieting past and was happy with it. It wasn't casserole sytle though, just individual... maybe more like a healthy chili dog but all the same ingredients... just healthy versions of them. I'll have to give that a go again some time cause now I'm hungry for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally putting this on my menu next week. My family will flip over this!! Thanks for posting!

    ~JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing recipe! I would of never thought of using tortillas. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow - this looks amazing! Hey, I say everything in moderation. I would have no problem eating this occasionally. It really does look and sound totally scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Friday! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried to leave you a comment twice yesterday but it wouldnt take. Weird! Anyway this sounds absolutely amazing. I swear I woke up thinking about this. You've haunted me! LOL. How do you think hot dog buns would work? I have a bunch left over from the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbi,
    I could get real excited about this casserole since chili dogs are my very favorite and I don't get to enjoy them very often. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, now you've done it! I love these, thanks for the reminder to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! how spicy it is! After reading your blog now i just want to try it as soon as possible. love to have your chili recipe .

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so delicious, Even i showed this blog to my mum and she promised me that she will prepare pizza for me from this chili recipe . And i love to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it look good minus the weiner

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know those as 'weinielottas'!! Very similar recipe. I also consider it more like enchiladas than a casserole. :)

    ReplyDelete