Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker



I've made a lot of soups. I love soup.  I've made many southwestern flavored soups.  But never tortilla soup. At least not with tortillas actually IN the soup.



I'm a flour tortilla fan. No clue why.  I think my brother once said years back that he preferred them so I just never tried corn tortillas. Why on earth would I trust my brother?! Corn chips of course, but never corn torillas. Weird.


So I bought corn tortillas for this recipe. I loved, loved, loved how they completely dissolved in the soup and flavored and thickened it wonderfully. 

Then of course was the toasting of the corn chips.  That was awesome too.

This soup was a complete hit. Wonderful flavor but not spicy.  Definite keeper.



Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless
2 cans chicken broth (14 oz)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 oz) green chiles
1 1/2 cups corn
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Optional toppings: Tortilla strips, sour cream, cheddar cheese or avocado

Add chicken breasts, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, corn, onion, garlic, bay leaf and spices to the crock pot.  Add the cut tortilla strips to the pan. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 until chicken is able to shred.  Shred chicken, return to crock.  Add half and half and cilantro.  Cook an additional half hour.  Garnish as desired.

Tortilla Strips:
Cut corn tortillas into strips.  Spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bade until crispy at 400 degrees, about 10 minutes.

Total calories with out extra toppings: 1809 calories
11 cups = 164 calories per cup

One Year Ago...








Peanut Butter Dip

This is linked with:

Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Soup at Life as Mom





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. Love this! I've made a couple and they they say to blend the corn tortillas in the blender with the tomatoes...crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a flour tortilla fan. Never used corn, until recently and now I just love corn tortillas. This looks insanely good and a bonus that it's made with the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great recipe! I was always a flour tortilla girl until we had to go gluten free. I feel now like I have been missing out all of this time. Love corn tortilla's now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good Debbi. I have always been a corn tortilla fan and never cared for the flour ones. I always have a stack of them in the fridge ready to go. I just didn't get it when my sister made enchiladas and used flour tortillas...no you have to use corn or it's just not an enchilada! Anyway I am bookmarking this for sure! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I am always up for finding new healthy dishes. Plus, it uses a crock pot! Whoop, Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum!! I really wish I had a bowl right now!! Looks and sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for making the soup! It's one of my favorites and it's about time I make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, Debbi this sure looks good. I love the toasted/roasted corn flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm drooling over this right now! It looks like I could keep it pretty weight watchers friendly too. I've been dying to use my crockpot more. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seriously looks delicious!! I've always used flour tortillas too, but after reading all the comments, I may just switch to corn, especially when I make enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH YEAH... this is definitely going on the menu this week (even if it is 100 degrees outside)!!!! You ALWAYS give us wonderful healthy selections!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my most favorite soups ever! I love that you made this in a slow cooker. I hopped on the corn tortilla band wagon a couple of years ago after only eating flour tortillas. I love to spray the corn torts with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and toast them in the oven before wrapping up all sorts of goodness in them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I'm definitely going to make it soon, though I'll sub black beans for the chicken. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I love chicken tortilla soup, but have never made it! This is like the fifth recipe I've saved, and maybe the one that will actually get me to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this sounds like a great soup! And easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to try t his. I only use corn tortilla because hubby can't tolerate the wheat so I am glad to hear your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that it is a slow cooker recipe! I have vowed to use my slow cooker more this summer to keep the heat out of the kitchen!

    I much prefer corn tortillas to flour, to me they have so much more flavor.

    Good eats Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I make a soup similar to this recipe stovetop & always add the juice of 1 lime. The lime give it that little extra something that is really tasty & after having the lime it is greatly missed when you don't have it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's a "must try" for sure & I will be adding lime =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbi, this looks wonderful! I love the spices in it, and those corn tortilla chips sound amazing. Thank you for sharing another yummy recipe with Let's Do Brunch. Hope to 'see' you there again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Found your recipe on pinterest. It's great. I used rotel tomatoes for an extra kick. I had 3 huge chicken breasts that I put in my kitchen aide mixer right out of the crock pot and it took less than a minute to shred them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete