Monday, May 9, 2011

Tomato Soup with Chickpeas




Soup season may be over for many of you. But it's never over for me.  I don't care if it's 90 degrees outside, I still love soup.

Tomatoes and chickpeas.  Mmmmmmm... Perfect combination any time of the year.



Tomato Soup with Chickpeas Recipe
Adapted from A Little Bit Of Everything


2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 tsp. dried rosemary (fresh would work too)
3 cans of tomatoes, 15 oz. (I used diced)
1 tsp. of sugar
1 tsp. salt
Pepper, to taste
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth


1. Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat, and add the garlic and rosemary. Cook for a minute or two, and then add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, a few grinds of pepper, roughly half of the chickpeas, and the stock. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.


2. Remove the soup from the heat to purée. If using an immersion blender, purée the soup directly in the pot. Otherwise, wait a few minutes, until the soup cools; then purée it in batches in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot. Add the remaining chickpeas, and warm the soup over medium heat.

One Year Ago...










Chunky Chili with Sweet Corn Bread

This is linked with:

$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

13 comments:

  1. That is a cool spin on tomato soup... thanks... I would enjoy making soup alot more if what I made wasnt plain and didnt taste like mushy starch... So I will give this a try...
    Have a wonderful day...
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomatoes with chick peas too! I'm making my favorite soup this week, Garbanzo and Chorizo soup (minus the chorizo) so it will be figure friendly :) I agree, soup season might be over, but I do love me some soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of tomato soup in general, but when you pair it with chicpeas, I think it would be terrific. I'm like you - I eat soup all year round, no matter what the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week on THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS we are looking for “brunch recipes”. We’d love for you to come link up this tasty looking recipe!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-weeks-cravings-28-brunch-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, who cares if it's boiling hot outside! I love my soup. that looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking soup Debbi. I love how quick and easy this is and love the idea of combining the tomato with the chickpeas, chickpeas being one of my favourite ingredients in soups and stews.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today - it was lovely to hear from you :-)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soup season is never over for me either! That's what air conditioners are for. :P

    This soup looks delicious! Tomatoes AND chickpeas....two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soup season lasts all year for me, too!! This looks delicious...I'm loving the chickpea/tomato combo. Next time I make Tomato soup...it may have to be this one. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does look awesome! And I agree about soup season--as long as the AC is blasting on warm days, a hot soup can be welcome all year long. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have quite a few all year soup addicts and this soup looks like a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tomato soup Debbi, and this is such a great way to make it even better for you. I like the idea of the rosemary too. Thank you for sharing another great recipe with The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm with you on the soup no matter the temperature. your tomato soup version looks spectacular! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete