Monday, May 2, 2011

Everything Lentil Soup



Talk about your super hearty, filling soup!  This may not have been the prettiest soup in the world but it was tasty and filling!  I did sprinkle a bit of Franks hot sauce on mine to kick it up a bit!



Everything Lentil Soup
Adapted from Clean Eating Mama

8 cups water/vegetable stock
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 sweet potato, chopped (mine was 10 oz)
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 head chard/collard greens, cut into chunks
2 cups dry lentils
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot sprayed with cooking spray, cook onion, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, red pepper, potato and greens, cook for another 5 minutes.

Add broth, lentil, basil and parsley. Bring to a boil then turn to medium/low hear and cover. Cook for about an hour or until lentils are soft. 

Add dry quinoa, cover and let cook for 15 - 20 minutes.  Taste and season and let sit for 10 - 20 minutes until thick and delicious!

Total calories = 2500 calories
11 cups = 227 calories per cup


One Year Ago...












Sloppy Joes

This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

17 comments:

  1. I find it really hard to make lentils look pretty also, but with this rock star list of ingredients, I know this soup has to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a complete meal and so healthy.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I have all of those ingredients in the pantry! I've been loving sweet potatoes in my soups. But I've found they don't freeze well. They sort of fall apart into mush in the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lentil soup. Cannot wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I have never tried lentils....maybe this is a good way to try!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. With sweet potato, quinoa and lentils, this sounds like a delicious and filling soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great hearty soup. I love the addition of the quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious Debbi! :D I've never put quinoa in a soup, just lasagna - yum!

    Happy Monday - I will post it tonight, but the BSI ingredient this week is going to be fresh or dried cherries :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like my kind of soup. Yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love recipes like this the thicker the soup the better come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE lentil soup. I am adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful...I will be trying this!..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found your post through Hearth and Soul Hop. This look wonderful - nutritious and hearty. I think it would make a complete meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a big thing of quinoa that I don't know what to do with....Now I do! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debs! What a super yummy soup and super healthy too! As for the not looking nice, well sometimes things might not look like they come from a restaurant but still taste delicious! The idea of using quinoa in a soup is interesting! I never thought to do that but I am sure it worked awesomely, and I would also add a shot of the hot to mine! Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop! hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  16. aside from being a great recipe as always...your pic is gorgeous! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete