Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Pasta Shells



I seriously thought that stuffing these jumbo shells would be more annoying.  I was pleasantly surprised that they were pretty easy.  This was my second time stuffing shells and I rather enjoyed it. 

You know how much we love anything tex mex related around here. Well then, it just seemed fitting that we stuff some shells with enchilada mix.  Right? 



Love all the pretty veggies going on in here! 



I didn't use a lot of cheese on these.  Mainly just for prettiness.  There is a lot of flavor going on in these and I think the cheese just drowns out a lot of that good flavor. Not to mention adds a ton of calories. 

Of course, then we add Doritos to the top. Gosh that felt good!  Tasted awesome too!




Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Pasta Recipe
Adapted from The Small Plates of Standage

1 - 12 oz. pkg. jumbo shells
3 large green and/or red peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
1 - 28 oz. can enchilada sauce
Cheddar cheese, 3 oz.
4 green onions, chopped
2 oz. nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips, crushed

Cook pasta according to directions, drain. 

In skillet, cook peppers, onion, jalapeno in cooking spray for about 5 - 8 minutes until soft.  Stir in cooked chicken, beans, seasoning mix and 3/4 cup enchilada sauce.  Cook a few minutes to heat through.  Stir in green onions.  Remove from heat.

Spread about 1 1/2 cups of remaining enchilada sauce on bottom of pan. I used a 9 x 13 and a pie plate.  Divide filling among shells.  Arrange shells on top of sauce. Drizzle with more enchilada sauce, I didn't use all of it. Sprinkle lightly with shredded cheese.

Bake, covered for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chips.  Serve. 

Total calories = 3438 calories
37 shells = 93 calories per shell

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted this week by Cassie, the Kitchen Alchemist.  

One Year Ago...






Peking Chicken Wraps


This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Figure Friendly Friday at Family, Stamping and Food!
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. Only 93 calories!!! Those look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply amazing. I can see it on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do stuffed shells very often, Debbie, but I think they're fun. I'd probably put way too much cheese on this dish, but that calorie count is wonderfully low. Perhaps I could contain myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks to me as if it is time consuming but I will take your word for it that it is easy. They look delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drool! They sound amazing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great stuffed shell recipe. Especially the Doritos on top! (We are huge Dorito fans in our house).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, I lost contact for so long and I can tell I have been missing out! These look just wonderful. It would be perfect here today as it is cold and rainy again (and again and again!) I haven't had stuffed shells in forever and the family would love them - such a fun container.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am shocked to see them under 100 calories. I thought for sure they would be over board with all the tasty ingredients inside. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have boneless chicken breasts I was wondering what to do with... now I know. These looks so good! Even V will like them, which is always a challenge because he is a meat and potatoes man. Not adventurous with new recipes.
    AGH! Thank you for your comment, oh boy! I have GOT to get this under control!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound like little fiestas! LOL

    Love this idea.... sounds delicious, especially with the doritos on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to loose a few Pounds and shall be trying out a few of your recipes over her in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Debbi for visiting my blog. I shall have to check out your weight lose challenge in the morning. I have stayed up rather late with the worry of my granddaughter so I saw your reply rather quickly. I shall join you on the challenge though when i read it ( I really do need to loose some weight haha) Thank you for your comments. Will visit again soon. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it is the best of both worlds. Love Mexican and pasta. Looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How good do these look???!!! I will definitely be giving these a go.

    Keep the yummy recipes coming, I love testing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! These are a genius creation. I love the fusion of ethnicities...pasta and tex-mex, how could it NOT taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debbi,
    I think I would love this recipe with or without the pasta. Sounds like a great combination. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so good and so unique! I think these have to go on next week's menu :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbi,

    These are simply TOO much fun! What tasty treats! Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look soooo good!

    Stopping in from I'm Lovin' It Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look delicious. I always shy away from stuffing shells. I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! This looks delicious! I am printing this out for my menu for the next few weeks! Thanks so much for sharing and for adding the calories! When trying to keep up with calories it is hard sometimes when looking at new recipes.

    http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those enchiladas have a great calorie count. Mexican food..yes is definitely a crowd pleaser!
    Those Shirataki noodles are like rubbery ramen but they have no taste. Joy from Pizza,Cakes, Pies...Oh My mentioned she could not handle the texture. They actually have different types somewhere because My Fitness Pal has in their database spaghetti, fettacini, and angel hair. I think that Hungry Girl does the different types. I only found one brand called Japanese House Shirataki.
    Some lady made a recipe for cheesecake using them in a blender and when all is said and done, it is only and 191 calories 3 carbs a serving says it makes 16 servings? I will try and tackle that one after payday. I have a bunch of Granulated Splenda for when I used to be into peach tea...but now I am just doing coffee 2-3 cups and water 8 16 oz min per day. Here is the recipe link:
    http://www.miraclenoodle.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=684

    If it tastes good...NO guilt cheesecake..don't have to be a low carber to appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie, all of your meals are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete