Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicken Chow Mein in the Slow Cooker




I posted this recipe before. It is too good not to post again. I've tweaked the measurements more too. We add more veggies now. 


I make this a lot.  It's one of the easiest things to throw in the crockpot. 


Best part is that it is super filling and very low calorie.  You can seriously eat a lot of this stuff and not feel guilty at all. 

This makes a really big batch but it stays in the frig very well and reheats to make an awesome lunch the next day!



Chicken Chow Mein Recipe

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
1/2 cup water
3 chicken bouillion cubes
1 1/2 lb. chopped onion (about 2 large)
1 1/2 lbs. chopped celery (about 1 bag)

1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup soy sauce
5 tbsp. molasses
2 cans bean sprouts, drained
2 cans water chestnuts, drained
1 can bamboo shoots, drained
2 red peppers, chopped

Put the chicken, water, bouillion cubes, onions and celery in crock pot.  Cook for 7 - 8 hours on low or until chicken is ready to shred. Shred chicken and add back into crock pot.

Add red peppers, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts to slow cooker.  Mix soy sauce, molasses and cornstarch in a small bowl and add to the pot. Stir to combine.  Cook for about 1 hour on high until slightly thickened. 

Total calories = 2242 calories
15 cups = 150 calories per cup


2 tbsp. chow mein noodles = 30 calories

2 cups chow mein & 4 tbsp. noodles = 360 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Cheese Ravioli w/Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce

This is linked with:

No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Slow Cooker at Life as Mom







Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

9 comments:

  1. Gosh, I wish I had everything for this because I would make it for dinner tomorrow. I will bookmark it and get the ingredients for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN DO this!!!! I will let you know!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YUM! I think I might add shredded napa cabbage for a GF alternative!
    Blessings!
    LIB
    http://bit.ly/b4ATuy

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm..... on my way to the Grocery Store.. this is a MUST fix for dinner tonight!
    Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use my slow cooker all the time and nowI really want to try this one.Fantastic!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I like your plate.
    Second, this is something I want to make. I love Chow Mein and yours looks better than the restaurant's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for the slow cooker! Not bad on the calories either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you can make this chow mein recipe in the slow cooker - that is fantastic. The ingredients all sound delicious and what a bonus that it's low calorie too. Thank you for sharing another great healthy recipe with Let's Do Brunch. Hope you will come by and join in again this week. The linky is up now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this and it was super salty. If I make it again I will not use nearly that much soy sauce. tossing this batch.

    ReplyDelete