Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes




I knew as soon as I saw Biz's recipe for scalloped potatoes that I would make them.  She's never steered me wrong before.  These were classic and awesome!  The family loved them and have asked for them again. Soon.




Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen

Potatoes, thinly sliced (I had about 4 1/2 lbs.)
2 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. flour 
1 1/4 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. cheese, divided (I used colby jack)

Cook onion in butter until soft, about 4 - 5 minutes.  Add flour to butter and onion.  Stir and cook for about a minute.  Add milk and stir to mix.  Stir constantly and heat but do not boil.  Add 4 oz. cheese once mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir to melt cheese.  Add salt and pepper.

Place sliced potatoes in 8 x 8 in. pan.  Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and gently stir.  Microwave for 10 minutes.  Remove from microwave and add 2 oz. of cheese to the top.  Finish in oven for about 25 minutes at 350 or until potatoes are done.

One Year Ago...










Chicken Egg Salad Sandwiches






Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

17 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love scalloped potatoes but have yet to make ones from scratch. I desperately need a mandelon! Maybe I'll give this recipe a try! :)

    Katie from Katie's Cucina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love scalloped potatoes. Who doesn't! Always a perfect side dish.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy cheesy! Of course a recipe from Biz has to have cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything coated with cheese...and I'm particularly fond of the white food group....potatoes, bread, chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum is all I can say. I love these kind of potatoes and yours look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once made a box of betty crockers scalloped potatoes and ate the entire box.
    Im not allowed to make them anymore. unless if i make them, i hire someone to stand by and guard the potatoes.
    that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delicious! How did you know I was craving potatoes today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheesy potatoes are always a hit at my house. I love that you've just used milk rather than make a veloute sauce which is what I usually do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! Glad you liked them, even with the onions! :D

    Happy Thursday Debbi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds yummy. I have had the worst luck making these at home. Perhaps this recipe might actually turn out for me. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that cheese...I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooo scalloped potatoes!! yes please! Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look amazing. I haven't made scalloped potatoes in a long time, you got me wanting some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Debbi,
    These Scalloped Potatoes look so good, and they are always as good the next day. Great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMY!!!! I think that about sums it up! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, I just love your recipes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete