Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Char Sui Pork Roast in the Slow Cooker




I haven't a clue what Char Sui means.  I saw the ingredients of this meal and it didn't matter. I knew it would be good. 

It was.

This was one of those simple throw it in a crockpot and leave for the day kind of meals.  We came home to a wonderful smelling meal! 

I ate this with butternut squash and the husband ate his with a baked potato.  There was plenty for lunches and I put it on a tortilla as a wrap.  Of course. All leftovers get eaten as a wrap around here. 




Char Sui Pork Roast in the Slow Cooker
Adapted from Apples to Zucchini


1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 pounds boneless Boston butt pork roast, trimmed


Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
Place pork and marinade in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

One Year Ago...










Sweet Potato & Zucchini Cakes

This is linked with:

No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

18 comments:

  1. Those flavors to sound amazing together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get some sesame oil! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did get an oven but this will need to be made! I love my slow cooker :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really yummy and very versatile. Just my kind of recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what it is either but I agree is does sound delicious. I am always all for crock pot recipes. Yummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. char sui= roast pork...i am pretty sure anyway lol
    looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, have no idea what that means, but it sound delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How easy... and that would make lunch the next day so easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were right to try that...what a great list of ingredients. I can just imagine how flavorful that meat was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredibly tender, flavorful and mouth-watering delicious! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so terrific. Thanks for posting it to What's On the Menu Wednesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the crockpot makes my life so much easier come see what I shared
    http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pork sounds awesome. I know the family would love it. I would too, except, I cant eat it :( But great recipe, I am gonna use it. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I can say is YUMMY. I love pork roast. Definitely putting this is the crockpot to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm chinese so i definitely know what char siu is. It's a kind of sweet caramelised bbq pork. oh so good. we have it over noodles tossed in soy sauce, or over rice.. ahhhh missing it now. this sounds great!

    (btw it's char siu not sui!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbi, this sounds wonderful. I love the flavours in that marinade, and how wonderful you can make this in the slow cooker. It's one of those things I'd hope for leftovers too, as the idea of this lovely char sui pork roast in a wrap is mouthwatering!! Thank you so much for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch. This week's linky is up now- hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete