Monday, May 16, 2011

Cabbage Patch Kidney Bean Stew



Talk about your hearty, delicious stew!  Whew! This had it all.

Hubs wasn't sure about the cabbage at first but didn't even notice it when he ate it. We all loved it. 


It was quite mild. If you like things heated up, you could add a can of green chiles or maybe some hot sauce.

I made this awhile ago and am just now getting around to posting it and I'm so wanting to make it again!





Cabbage Patch Stew
Adapted from Tasty Traditions

1 lb ground turkey browned
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown ground turkey and onions in a pan. Add to crock pot. Stir in remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until cabbage is tender. 

Total calories = 2060 calories
10 Cups = 206 calorie per cup

One Year Ago...










Buffalo Chicken and Potatoes




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

12 comments:

  1. Don't you love when you can add ketchup to a recipe? It makes everything taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... Ketchup heehee... That looks yummy and very filling...remember hehehe add beano!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool -- I'm always looking for a new soup/stew recipe. This looks so hearty and tasty. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like we were on the same page with the hearty healthy stews! This looks great!

    I'm glad you'll be joining us in the Secret Recipe Club next month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! this looks so yummy right now. thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great one pot meal to me. :) Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name of this! It looks so hearty and comforting - perfect for the week of rainy weather we're having here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup recipe looks great! I love cabbage and actually cooked it the last two nights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks both healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This stew looks really good and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandmother used to make a similar soup when I was a kid. This post has me thinking of it! I I still have one cabbage left from the garden... I think I will have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect slow cooker soup. So healthy and full of veggies I love! Amazing soup recipe :)

    ReplyDelete