Monday, April 25, 2011

Summer Squash, Zucchini & Pea Risotto




So do you watch Hell's Kitchen??  Have you ever watched it? 

Gordon Ramsey yelling and swearing at chefs for their inferior quality food.

Well, I've never made risotto.  Though they make it all the time at Hell's Kitchen.  It takes a bit of love and patience to make it just right. You know what happens when you don't make it right? 

You get yelled at by Chef Ramsey!

I seriously kept thinking of that as I was stirring the risotto. Some how, it became important to me to make a GOOD risotto that Gordon Ramsey would be proud of!




You bring your plate to him.

He calls your name.

This is the moment of truth!  *nail biting*

"DEBBI!!!"

"Yes, Chef?"

*pause for effect*

"PERFECT RISOTTO!!"

*sigh*

Smile.  :-)





I so don't think I could handle someone yelling and swearing at me in my kitchen.  Twin 3 year olds racing trucks around your feet is quite enough thank you. 

I posted this a while back on Our Krazy Kitchen. 



Summer Squash, Zucchini and Pea Risotto
Adapted from 990 Square

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise and then in 1/4 thick slices
1 medium yellow squash , cut lenthwise and then 1/2 in. thick
1 quart of chicken stock (or veggie stock)
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup peas
juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

In a saucepan. heat the olive oil on high. Add the squashes, saute for 2 - 3 minutes.  Set aside.

Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over moderate heat and add the onions, sauteeing them for about 3 - 4 mintues, then add the rice, stirring until it is well coated. Add 1/2 cup stoc and cook, stirring constantly until the stock is absorbed. 

Continue adding stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently.  By the time most, or all of the stock is added, the rice should be tender but still firm, the mixture creamy.  Add the resperved zucchini, squash and peas and cook until they are heated through.   Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.  Add salt and pepper as desired.

Total calories = 1395 calories
6 servings = 232 calories per serving

Honey Mustard Chicken with Pretzel Crust + Summer Squash & Peas Risotto = 532 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...










Haitian Chicken Puffs & Caribbean Black Bean Soup

This is linked with:

$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

21 comments:

  1. It sure looks perfect to me and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you have solved my problem of what to cook tonight :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy! and yes, I LOVE Hell's Kitchen, but somehow I missed it this last time. I think we were recording some other things and it didn't get recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I'm totally picturing chef ramsey yelling about this. But I know you'd make him proud. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so creamy and delicious! I'm sure Chef Ramsey would approve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think chef ramsey would approve! this risotto looks creamy & the brightness of the squash makes it pop! :D

    thanks so much for linking up to magia mondays!

    -kristin

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am certain he would not have yelled at you.... but I know for a fact... He would have SCREAMED at me! Thanks for sharing something that looks and sounds so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful risotto. I am so ready for summer veggies like squash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My one-year old daughter would love this...summer squash and zucchini are her two favorite foods! And I'm sure my husband and I would love it too...I'm adding this to our menu this week. Thanks for sharing!

    BTW, I'm visiting from Skip to My Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time my husband and I see Gordon Ramsey, we look at each other and go "It's Raw!"

    Yep, a great risotto is something to behold and yours looks creamy and delicious. Since I don't do onions, I dice up apple and its a nice sweet/savory combo.

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look quote perfect, great flavoe indeed chef.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOu should try making Risotto w/pearled barley - YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son gets a kick out of Chef Ramsay! I'm just checking in for your recipe--I'm starting my diet today and making my grocery list. XX00

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, that first photo is poppin! I thought maybe you'd got a new camera or something, but I see this is an old recipe. I've never made a risotto, but this one looks sooo yummy. Chef Ramsey would totally approve!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice combination, the risotto and that chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fabulous! Here's my ECLAIR CAKE recipe:

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/04/eclair-cake.html

    Love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want some of that risotto; what a meal! Your photos are Perfect just like a pro!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! That sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

    Wendy
    www.aroundmyfamilytable.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious risotto with summer veggies, I love to try them. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok I've made this about 4 times since you posted it on Skip to My Lou. Our family LOVES this!!! Do you mind if I post the recipe on my blog and link back to you?

    ReplyDelete