Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spicy Goulash




I first heard of goulash from my mother in law.  I had never had it before her. I enjoy hers, very tasty.  I've never gotten the recipe though.

So when I saw this, I thought I'd give the old goulash a try. 

This is nothing like moms.  At all.


It is, however, quite delicious.  And I got to use my slow cooker, which made me very happy.

This may be called spicy but it really isn't. It's quite flavorful and tasty.  More like a chili mac.

Maybe someday I'll get mom's recipe...



Spicy Goulash or Chili Mac Recipe


1 lb. ground turkey
2 cans (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
2 cans (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups beef broth
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

In a large skillet, cook ground turkey, peppers and onions until done.  Transfer to a slow cooker.  Stir in the tomatoes, beans, beef broth, vinegar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.  Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or until heated through.  Stir in macaroni; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until macaroni is done. 

Total calories = 2925 calories
13 cups = 225 calories per cup

One Year Ago...













Zucchini, Peppers and Potato Bake

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Figure Friendly Friday at Family, Stamping and Food!
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christina's
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisley Passions
Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch
Ingredient Spotlight: Pasta at Eat at Home
Recipe of the Week: Casseroles at Family Fresh Meals


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. We love goulash. This is a nice twist on the traditional way. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The seasonings list sounds great! Time to try goulash, my own mom's was kind of boring and I only made it once. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had goulash in forever..sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so tasty. I cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings back lots of memories for me, my mom use to make goulash! Comfort food!

    I just launched my new and improved blog and I hope you will stop by and take a look.

    Be sure to click on the recipe tab at the top of the page it takes you to a recipe navigation page. It makes is super simple to browse through all of my recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love goulash. This verison looks delicious. My mom's version is nothing like this either but I like the use of beans in it. I am a huge bean freak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love goulash as well and this recipe sounds terrific. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM. thank you for this new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great. Between the beans and the pasta and the meat, it sounds super filling and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh Debbi, this looks SOOOO good. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, Oh yes, there is nothing better than a great bowl of Goulash. This is soul food for me it looks wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week! Have a wonderful week end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this goulash recipe!!! It looks terrific and yummy! Thanks for sharing it.
    Have a sweet and blessed Easter.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never saw a goulash with beans in it! I love the idea - it ups the heartiness and adds great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks wonderful! I love different takes on recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you upgraded my usual goulash. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry this wasn't exactly like your mom's but it certainly looks delicious in its own right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds spicy! Thanks for linking up at Figure Friendly Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blog, I am always looking for new things to try! (esp the spicy stuff! YUM!) Thank you, I cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found your blog thru Foodie Friday. I haven't had goulosh in years. I wanted some the second I saw the picture!!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debi is that right @ what i`m reading,that u used 6 cans of rotel. That has to be very hot.When i make my chili i only use one can and it has a good bite to it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks awesome!! Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck this week -- so many tasty ideas for me to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I promised my sons I would go on a diet--I will be hanging out here with you! This recipe is perfect. I'm thrilled to find something that looks this good that has under 300 calories!!! Swooning with joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie, could I post a link to your blog to my Facebook page and Twitter? I'm so impressed with your blog! I had just about given up on dieting until I found you. My email is designsbygollum@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What could be better then goulash. Yummy! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the recipe!
    http://mealsforreal.blogspot.com/2011/05/spicy-goulash.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love goulash...my Grandma would make it all the time when I was a kid. It is such a fond food from childhood. I love the added spice in this recipe! Wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete