Thursday, April 14, 2011

Slow Cooker Italian Vegetable Soup




I thought about making this healthier and leaving out the Italian sausage. 

Uh, that would have been a bad idea.  The sausage was the star of this awesome soup. 

This was super flavorful and a soup that I will make again and again. The only thing I would change is to have different noodles, I had small rings and they sorta disappeared. 





Slow Cooker Italian Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Finding Joy in My Kitchen and An Oregon Cottage

1 lb. Italian sausage (I used mild ground)
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup red wine (or more broth)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes (or just another can of diced tomatoes)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chopped cabbage, chard, kale or spinach (I used leftover coleslaw mix)
2 carrots, diced
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 cup small pasta, macaroni or small shells (I used gluten free)
2 cups green beans, frozen
Salt to taste

If using uncooked sausage, cook it in skillet until brown, drain and transfer to the bowl of a large slow cooker.  (I sauteed the onions and carrots briefly with the sausage).  Combine the broth and the wine and pour over meat.  Add the remaining ingredients except the pasta and green beans.  Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Add the noodles and green beans and flip to high for about 30 - 40 minutes.  Salt to taste (I didn't need any).

Total calories = 2350 calories
13 cups = 181 calories per cup

2 cups Italian Vegetable Soup + small salad = 415 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...










Cranberry Roast in the Slow Cooker



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. YUM! My mom makes an awesome Italian Soup recipe, but they don't make the Garlic Pasta Accents anymore so we have to substitute it. Not same as it was 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey great post! i have a sister who makes delicious food, me im more of a diet person :)
    I will def pass this recipe to her!
    I have written some Weight Loss Articles check it out when you have time..

    http://iexpertonline.blogspot.com/2011/04/healthy-weight-loss.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every morning I start here, cause you always have something yummy to share! This had me at sausage, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum sounds delicious. We are fans of sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum.... this sounds great! You could always use turkey sausage if you want to keep the flavor of the sausage, but reduce some fat and cals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great meal for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! You just made me want soup for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed this soup -- I love it. And, you're right; the Italian sausage is the star. We used turkey sausage to help make it healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely meal, I would eat it all week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so good!!! I LOVE soup and I LOVE my slow cooker. I'm going to have to try this VERY soon!

    Thanks,
    Mindy

    (visiting from Tip Day Thursday!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks and sounds awesome! I will definitely make this! I would also use chicken sausage with Italian flavor. Thank!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbi,
    I just love a great vegetable soup and your recipe looks delicious! Thank you for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
    Congratulations on your feature this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum. I really could use a bowl to warm me up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! This looks like a good way to force more veggies into my diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always looking for new slow cooker recipes! Thanks for sharing this, I think I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its looks awesome. I like Italian soup. I am going to make this as soon as possible. Love this. Thank you so much.
    -slow cookers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how jam-packed with veggies this is! Definitely comfort food and definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking to Figure Friendly Friday! We are traveling the world over :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love soup, especially Italian soup!! It's still pretty chilly in the evenings here, so I'm very happy to have soup for dinner as frequently as possible. Brrrr..

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just the kind of soup I love! Chock full of veggies and with sausage to flavor it up! So hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. soup is not something that my teens love but this I believe they would love

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Debbi, this post inspires me to get my slow cooker out...SOON!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just happen to have EVERY ingredient for this recipe at home. :) I think this will be my soup of the week. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete