Thursday, April 7, 2011

La Bamba Mexican Casserole with Homemade Tortilla Chips

It's no secret that we love tex mex or mexican food. I've pretty much made every form I can think of, in every different combination to produce a delicious meal.  I still read blogs and find new ways to take the similar foods that I love and put them in a new way.  If you know of any more, please, don't hesitate to let me know.

Here is an example of foods that I eat all the time put in yet another different way that we all enjoyed.

I altered the recipe some, I added the refried beans in with the ground turkey mixture.  I thought the idea of spreading refried beans didn't sound fun.  I also added a can of black beans.  I love pretty food and I knew that these would help in making it pretty. 

Oh, who am I kidding. We all know I love beans and look for any and every excuse to add them. 

This almost seemed like a 7 layer dip type of recipe in a casserole form. I took the advice of others and ate it with chips. I made my own homemade whole wheat tortilla chips with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

It is a pretty dish though, isn't it?

La Bamba Mexican Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Pam's Midwest Kitchen

2 4 oz. cans chopped green chilies, drained

Cooking spray
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10-ounce) can Rotel with chilies, undrained
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
½ cup chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 375°.

Spray 9 x 13 in pan with cooking spray.  Spread green chilies over the bottom of the pan.

Heat a large pan coated with cooking spray, add ground turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic; sauté until cooked. Add diced tomatoes and refried beans; cook 5 minutes or until some of the liquid evaporates.

Spoon turkey mixture over chiles. Top with corn and black beans. Sprinkle cheese over beans. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; top with chopped tomato and green onions.

Total calories = 2400 calories
8 servings = 300 calories per serving

One Year Ago...

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. Way to go Debbi! Since I love beans also, your version of this rocks! You can be sure I will be adding plenty of beans the next time! Thanks for the nod.

  2. I drooled a little.
    This looks amazing. its like comfort food to the max!

  3. Yum this looks wonderful. I always make homemade chips here too.

  4. Looks pretty to me! And it's always fun to eat chips with dinner.

  5. Oh my, this looks soooooo darn good! We also love Mexican/Tex Mex and eat it alot!

  6. this looks amazing so I am keeping this recipe; I know my husband would really go for this one.

  7. yep, I'm adding this to next week's meal plan!

  8. yes hello, great flavor here. LOVE the name too.

  9. Not only does it look pretty, it looks delicious! We love Mexican food!

  10. Ooh sounds so delicious... I am a big Mexican food fan, too! How could I not love a cuisine that features cheese!

  11. This looks excellent - I love Mexican casseroles!

  12. That looks delicious! And you're right, it does resemble a 7 layer dip! YUM!

  13. Hi Debi,
    This is my kind of casserole, it looks so yummy! I just love the combination of veggies and flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

  14. Oh, I bet everybody in this house would devour know I love all of those flavors, too! Bring on the beans :D

  15. That looks insanely good! I so want some of that right now to scoop up with chips! It's crave-worthy.

  16. Mmmmmmm... this looks really, really, really good!!

    Happy Foodie Friday,

  17. I am a HUGE fan of anything Tex-Mex....especially if it involves refried beans. I'm such a sucker for refried beans. Looks delicious!

  18. That does look amazing and the homemade chips just add to it. YUM!! Looks delicious!!

  19. Yep - I am a sucker for Mexican food too - love this one! :D Have a great weekend Debbi!

  20. I just found your blog and it's got some great recipes! I love pretty much all Mexican food, too. This dish looks delicious.

  21. Mexican food is my favorite! This is a must try for me!

  22. Thanks for linking up to my new linky party Figure Friendly Friday. I was hoping you would :)

  23. Congratulations Debbi,
    You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week, enjoy!

  24. Hi Debbie,how do I find the recipe for the 7 Layer dip?

    1. Hi Karen, I don't actually have a 7 layer dip on my blog. I mentioned in this post that this was similar to a 7 layer dip as I ate it with chips. Hope you fined what you were looking for! :-)