Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Honey Lime Enchiladas



Enchiladas are just something that I never grow tired of. For one thing, you can make them a bazillion different ways. 


So I'm always excited when I see a new way to make enchiladas.  This time I needed something quick.  I had the chicken, I just needed stuff to put in it.

These were perfect.


The flavor combination of the honey, lime and chipotle is wonderful.  A lot sweet with a little spice for the tongue. 

This recipe made a lot, we froze one 8 x 8 pan so I have something to look forward to next month! 




Honey Lime Enchiladas
Adapted from TidyMom

2 lbs. chicken, cooked and shredded
2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained

6 tbsp. honey (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp.)
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tbsp. chipotle chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder

2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
6 oz. colby jack cheese (or whatever kind you'd like)
1/2 cup milk
18 -6 in. 100 calories whole wheat tortillas

Cook chicken, cool, shred.  Mix together the honey, lime juice, chipotle chili powder and garlic powder.  Add the chicken and black beans to it, stir and marinate in the frig for 30 minutes or more. 

I used a 9 x 13 pan and an 8 x 8 pan.  Pour a small bit of sauce on the bottom of the pans. 

Mix milk with the enchilada sauce. 

Lay out tortilla. Spread a small amount of enchilada sauce around on tortilla.  Place 1/4 cup of chicken/bean mixture on the tortilla, sprinkle with a bit of cheese.  Not too much as you want to save some for the top. Fold enchilada and place in pan. I got 12 in the 9 x 13 pan and 6 in the 8 x 8 pan.  Cover enchiladas with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Or cover one pan with aluminum foil and freeze for another night. 

You could also use 3 - 8 x 8 pans with 6 enchiladas in each and freeze two of them.

Total calories = 4801 calories
18 servings = 267 calories per enchilada

One Year Ago...












Orange Chipotle Boneless Ribs

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table

Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

13 comments:

  1. I love chicken enchiladas. I love black beans. And green salsa is my favorite. This looks like a total winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to eat enchiladas! Different but definitely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my mouth is watering. Where did you find chipotle chili powder? Was it in the spice section?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so good! You are truly a girl after my own heart with all the Tex-Mex you make! I would so be at your house every night for supper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! What great flavor combinations!! Oh serve me up one or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy, scared me at first when I saw the 4801 calories but then I read the whole thing lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I love all the flavors in this! The sweet and spice sound like such a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always looking for new recipes to try, this looks fabulous...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so super intrigued by this honey lime combination! What a fun take on a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, these sound like a total success story. What is there not to like? Good eating in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound so good. I love the combination of honey and lime with spice - delicious! Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch. Hope you will come by and link up again this week!

    ReplyDelete