Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chunky Meaty Chili





I wanted a nice and meaty chili. Oh, I still needed beans though.  This is an awesome meaty, chunky, hearty chili that we all loved. 

This is said to be Jimmy Fallons recipe.  I changed it quite a bit and so did Veronica so it really isn't his anymore, now is it?  I found it here if you'd like the original recipe.


Of course, I had to serve it with the same buttery beer bread that she used.  They both went well together and we all loved it!



Jimmy Fallon's Chili
Adapted from Recipe Rhapsody

3 lbs. ground turkey, lean
Salt and pepper
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup chile powder
2 tbsp. Ancho chili powder
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 (12 oz.) bottle beer
2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed

In a large skillet, brown beef over medium heat, chopping very fine.  Add onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  In a large crock pot, combine meat mixture, chile powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper.  Stir to combine.  Add tomatoes, beer and kidney beans.  Cook for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.  Season with salt and pepper as desired. 

Total calories = 3544 calories
17 cups = 208 calories per cup

One Year Ago...










Ham & Swiss Chicken in the Slow Cooker

This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Figure Friendly Friday at Family, Stamping and Food!
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

25 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! We love chili! I'm thinking I need to make one more pot of chili before summer. Maybe I'll try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we just need a bowl of chili. I love that you make it with lean turkey making it healthier. Using your slow cooker is what I really want to try. Thank you Debbi.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It looks delicious and I have to try it since it is healthier with the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so great!!!! There is nothing like a good bowl of chili.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is from Michigan,and loves chili...! When it's time for football to start he is ready to make chili.... LOL we live in the SOUTH... it's still hot here... but chili it is... I cant wait to give HIM this recipe to try... Me, I am a sucker for the bread!
    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, chili. And with beer bread no less - fantastic. I will have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love a turkey chili, pass the spoon please

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great and love the calorie count with turkey. That bread sounds pretty tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks just wonderful. I bet it tasted fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when chili looks this good and is guilt-free. I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chili and this one looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A chunky, meaty chili is my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited this takes Ancho chili powder as I had a heck of a hard time finding it and finally did and now I'm looking for recipes to use it. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One can never tire of chili! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi, this looks great. I love chili like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jimmy Fallon cooks? Somehow I can't see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been chilly here...so I guess chili is called for! LOL! I had some sweet potato chili today but it didn't hold a candle to this stuff. I like that you lightened it up b/c the original recipe was so fatty. Thanks for the shout out, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's almost like playing a game of telephone and so much fun to see how the recipe has evolved over time as every person makes changes! The chili sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh great - now you have me craving chili! I suppose that is exactly what you were wanting...and it soooo worked!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum to the chili and yum to the buttery bear bread!! Great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM! <3 Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debbi,
    You need to hang on to this one for the Texas Star Chili Cook Off this year. It looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks hearty and delicious--love that it is turkey too. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete