Saturday, April 9, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Amish Cupcakes





I've had the privilege of working with the Friendship Bread Kitchen.  I found them first on Facebook and they now have a wonderful new site with plenty of recipes and all you would ever need to know about Amish Friendship Bread. 



They offered me the opportunity to make Zucchini Chocolate Chip Friendship Bread. I turned them into cupcakes and used chocolate chocolate chunks.


I also made a powdered sugar icing for them that the kids of course, loved.  These were a total hit and the kids had no idea they were eating zucchini!





Chocolate Zucchini Amish Cupcakes
Adapted from The Friendship Kitchen

1 cup Amish friendship bread starter
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup grated zucchini, excess liquid removed with paper towels
1 cup mini chocolate chips (I used chocolate chunks)
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

1.Preheat over to 325° F
2.In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients except the chocolate chips. Mix well.
3.In a smaller bowl, combine all the wet ingredients. Mix well.
4.Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly fold in the wet ingredients, mixing well and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
5.Add the chocolate chips.
6.Bake for one hour in a well greased pan or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
7.ENJOY!


One Year Ago...











Chiliquiles Casserole



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. Never would have thought to use zucchini in a sweet bread or cupcake. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchinis are so good in baked goods as they make them so moist. These cupcakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amish, huh? I made vegan cupcakes like these but not amish. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zucchini bread, and this looks even better! La Bamba casserole from earlier in the week looks good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful Debbi! Any left?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderfully deceiving! :-)

    I can just imagine the conversations:

    A: Guess what you're eating.
    B: Chocolate cupcake, duh.
    A: No! It's ZUCCHINI!!!
    B: omg what kind of alien is that?!

    I've met people who don't know what the heck zucchini is. God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I need to try this one. I have frozen Zucchini in the deep freeze and this might be a way to use it up without the kids knowing what is in it!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another spectacular recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE sneaking zucchini into baked goods! A great way to eat your veggies without even realizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got Amish starter once and wrecked it. I didn't follow the directions at all.

    I think I'm going to check out your starter and maybe try again!

    Your muffins look awesome, especially with the icing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debbi, those look absolutely delicious. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I need to make zucchini bread now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These looks really yummy!! Perfect for this week's Sharing Sundays theme, CUPCAKES! We would love for you to come by and link up this recipe and any other cupcake recipe you would like. I hope to see you there.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/everyday-sisters-sharing-sundays-8.html

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete