Monday, April 11, 2011

Carrot Chipotle Soup




I loved this super creamy, delicious soup.  It was extremely low calorie and I've already made it twice.  The first time I used the amount of chipotles that Biz used. Holy cow, that woman's mouth must be made of steel.  It knocked my socks off with spice. But it was still good, though I had to dilute it a bit. The second time I cut the adobo chipotles in half and it was fine. Super tasty and totally a keeper!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carrot Chipotle Soup
Adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen

1 lbs. carrots
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 tbsp. chipotles from can with adobo sauce
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook carrots and onion in soup pot for about 5 minutes.  Add chipotles and stir.  Add broth and simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes until carrots are soft.  Puree in blender. Return to pan and slowly add heavy whipping cream, stirring constantly. Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve.  Yield 5 cups.

Total calories = 500 calories
5 servings = 100 calories per cup

One Year Ago...












Chipotle BBQ Chicken with Spicy Cilantro Coleslaw

This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen


This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners

My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I *JUST* found myself with 50 pounds of carrots that I am frantically trying to figure out what to do with, so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful soup. I love carrot soup and you definitely brought it to new heights with this recipe. Thanks for linking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw chipotle and I know I wouldn't be able to resist that soup, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good. I've never eaten carrot soup. We planted a ton of carrots this year, I'll have to keep this soup in mind for when I have them coming out my ears in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and a great way to use up the mountain of CSA carrots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so velvety and delicious. I've only made carrot soup once, but I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and lovely, Ill have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I love it!
    great color! and the flavor sounds quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it...I've been making lots of blended soups latley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a good creamy carrot soup, but would never have thought to add chipotles to it; looks really good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. m'mm! i love chipotle peppers in soup! they add an awesome taste & level of heat that is fantastic! matched with the sweetness of the carrots, i bet this soup is phenomenal!

    thanks so much for linking up to mangia mondays!

    -kristin

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbi, my husband thinks I've burned all my tastebuds off from all the hot stuff I eat - glad the second time around worked for you! :D

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your comment about Biz's mouth being made of steel made me laugh! I bet it is! haha. I've made a few of her recipes and so far haven't gotten any that are overly spicy but I know it will happen some day. This sounds really good--I'm glad you tried it b4 me so I wasn't shocked by the spiciness. Then again, we do like heat so it might have not hurt us as much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm....sounds interesting. I might just have to give it a try! Thanks.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find spicy soups to be incredibly satisfying! This sounds like a keeper recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The spice of the chiles adds such a great dimension to that soup. It's so pretty in that bowl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a hearty soup! Can't wait to try this!
    Following you now from Tuesdays at the Table! Would appreciate a follow back on Pinay in Texas Cooking Corner.
    Thanks! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That soup looks crazy good - I just love veggie soups! I think I will try it with the smaller amount of chipotle in it too! Thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been wanting to make carrot soup for a long time. This looks like a great recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just thinking of making a carrot and chipotle soup today - to use up a whole ton of carrots that are going bad! This looks so good - I love the spiciness! Thanks for making my soup!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'd love for you to join in on
    "Made it on Monday" a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog.

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    Link ups are every week WED.-SAT. :)

    hope to see you there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We love soup at our house and I have never made or tasted carrot soup. What a great idea and I always have carrots. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I almost made a carrot soup this week. This one looks really flavorful--love the spice. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i have been thinking about carrot soup all week...i have a bunch getting ready to be used in my fridge. your recipe just might save them! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.
    ps. love the calorie count on this one..i could eat the whole pot!

    ReplyDelete