Monday, April 18, 2011

Buffalo Chickpea Patties





I've been enjoying a lot of vegetarian meals lately. One thing I like about beans, is that they are healthy and cheap!



I've made bean patties before but so far, these are my favorite. I got the recipe from Veggie by Season and I even attempted to copy her presentation! It looked so nice!


I liked how she pureed some of the oats, I think that led to them sticking together better. They made a very nice appetizer.

We ate these with a delicious Apple Onion Pizza!  It was a great meal.



Buffalo Chickpea Patties
Adapted from Veggie by Season



1 - 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 c. buffalo sauce, I used Franks
1 egg white
1 small onion
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper

For serving:
Buffalo sauce
Ranch or blue cheese
Carrot Sticks
Celery
Cucumber


Add chickpeas to a bowl, use a potato masher or fork to mash, some chunks are okay. Add the buffalo sauce to the chickpeas.


Add half the oats to a food processor, pulse to create a crumb, add to the chickpeas. Then add the rest of the oats. Beat the egg white into the chickpeas. Grate onion into the chickpeas, finally add the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Combining ingredients well.


Heat a griddle over medium, spray with nonstick spray. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to portion out chickpea mixture onto griddle. Cook patties for about 5 - 7 minutes, until crispy and brown, flip gently and cook for another 5 - 7 minutes. Serve immediately to retain crispness.


I served these as an appetizer and got about 7 patties. You could make larger patties and serve as a burger as well.

Total calories = 616 calories
7 patties = 88 calories per pattie

One Year Ago...












Sweet Potato, Potato Salad

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners

My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

21 comments:

  1. Wow! That is super creative! I'll have to try that, but was it a little spicy for the kids? Mine are little and everything is "picy"...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beans are so versatile and affordable. We love chick peas at our house -- will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the talent to make food look so delish! You are amazing!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. And wow....apple on pizza? YUM! Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum for both. I will be trying these out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a lover of all things chickpea, I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of this, I bet the flavor is great. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy! Stopping by from MMM

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe Debbi, you know I love stuff like this! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of these! A lot of times homemade veggie or bean burgers get very dry, but the hot sauce in these sound like a great way to avoid that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love all things Buffalo Sauce! I'd love it if you linked up over on Menu Inspiration Monday again :)

    http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2011/04/chicken-and-stuffing-bake.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! Anything Buffalo Chicken around here is a big hit. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chickpeas! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very healthy. I think the buffalo sauce really brings the patties up a notch. Like it!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could pretty much put buffalo sauce on anything and I'd eat it! :D

    Looks delicous Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bookmarked. I cannot wait to make these. I have been eating more vegetarian meals too. Maybe it is the warmer weather? I just need to buy oats and I will be making this dish :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm...i wonder if i could shape them to look like chicken wings..that way i could get hubster to try them. i love this kind of meal, unfortunately, i have a meat eatin' hubs. i am going to file this away for when i have dinner on my own because it looks so delicious. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have never in a million years thought to make this dish....Love it...

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop 44.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look RIGHT up my alley!! Is there nothing a chick pea cant do?? This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

    If you have a sec, feel free to pop over now to enter my GIVEAWAY!

    **Bloggy Tip of The Day - Make sure you have an email address associated with your profile to make it easier for people to reply to your comments!! :) **

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made these for dinner tonight and loved them. I served them on homemade buns though.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete