Saturday, April 2, 2011

Banana Amaretto Cake




Cake or bread? That is my dilemma.

I figure, if you put it in a loaf pan, it's right to call it bread, right?  However, same recipe, now in an 8 x 8 pan. I think now it becomes cake.  It's just a matter of shape. 

However, bread does not usually frosted.  Cake does. 

Well, this bread/cake is in an 8 x 8 pan yet is not frosted.  Yet I dearly wanted to frost it, believe me I did. 

So is it bread or cake?


Whatever it is, it was delicious. That's for sure. 

I reluctantly didn't put the cranberries in this as the original recipe asked for as I knew my kids wouldn't touch it if there were cranberries.  Freaks.

I did think there was a bit too much nutmeg as well, that might be just a personal preference.  That didn't stop this from getting eaten rather quickly.

The kids wanted a banana bread so they got a banana bread.  Or cake. 


Banana Amaretto Cake
Adapted from Eats Well With Others

4 bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used part splenda)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. amaretto
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cranberries (I sadly didn't use these)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Mash the bananas and butter together in a large mixing bowl.  Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla, amaretto and then the spices.  Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the batter and mix.  Add the flours and mix.  Stir in cranberries if using. Pour into a loaf pan or an 8 x 8 pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy.

Amaretto Glaze
3 tbsp. amaretto
2 tbsp. half and half
2 - 3 cups powdered sugar

Starting out with about 2 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl, mix in the amaretto and half and half until all the powdered sugar has been incorporated into the liquids.  If too thick, add more milk.  If too thin, add more powdered sugar. Pour over the banana bread. 


One Year Ago...










Blueberry Zucchini Mini Loaves

8 comments:

  1. Oh serve me up a piece! Looks devine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say bread until proven otherwise. That way you can eat it for breakfast! Mwahahahaha.

    I'm so glad you made this and liked it! It was one of my favorite banana breads ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for me to get back to healthier cooking and eating; great recipe; thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbi, cake or bread? Either way, looks delicous, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy cow this looks delicious! amaretto and banana sound amazing!! this looks seriously great! thanks for sharing, lots of love happening for this and all your posts :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, I have asked the same question! However I did frost mine when I made a cake. ;) I've even been known to glaze the top of the bread! I like the Amaretto. Anything with liquor really catches my eye! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well well well...I made your Banana Cake? Bread? and it is fabulous...the brown sugar makes in so moist and the ameretto glaze was delish and I highly recommend eating warm!
    At least we are getting one of the food groups with Bananas!
    Thanks for the recipe! Jennifer aka gigi

    ReplyDelete