Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tangy Chicken Fajitas



Fajitas are a regular at our house.  So I of course was drawn to these when I saw them!


I LOVED the orange juice these!  Don't skip the mustard either, it added an awesome tang. They were incredibly tasty and sadly didn't last as long in the frig as I would have liked!



Tangy Chicken Fajitas
Adapted from Annies Eats

2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless, cut into strips
2 red peppers, sliced
2 green peppers, sliced
2 onions, sliced thin
Salt and pepper
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 tsp. mustard

Toppings: lettuce, tomato, scallions, sour cream

Mix orange juice, 1/2 cup of the cilantro, worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and chipotle powder in a small bowl.  Set aside. 

Heat pan, add chicken, peppers, onion and orange juice mixture.  Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until chicken is cooked, onions and peppers are soft and liquid has reduced and slightly thickened.  Add a tsp. of mustard to remaining sauce in pan and stir around thoroughly. 

Scoop onto tortillas and add toppings as desired.  Garnish with remaining cilantro. 

Total calories for filling without tortilla = 1430 calories
12 servings = 119 calories
Chicken fajita with 100 calorie tortilla = 219 calories

2 Tangy Chicken Fajitas w/sour cream & tomato = 500 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...










Vegetarian Meaty Chili

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table

Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

15 comments:

  1. YUM! I just made chicken fajitas as well, of course hubby bought white tortillas, he'll never learn lol. They look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting combo! I've never thought of oj either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks so good! I'm sure to some people it's nothing new, but the combination of orange with anything Mexican is a totally new idea and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. It is one of our favorite meals, but I have never tried some of these ingredients. I will have to give it a try when we make them again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken out beef for Fajitas tonight now I am sorry that I did not take out chicken! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I never make fajitas at home but they are my go-to when eating out at a Mexican place. Love the sound of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had fajitas (beef) w/ OJ in the marinade. But never mustard. Great idea for an added punch of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to make fajitas all the time, since we've discovered a love for enchiladas, fajitas have been put on the back burner. This recipe looks like something we will LOVE. Especially with the chipotle powder and the worcestershire sauce! Can't wait to try this...the mustard and oj have me very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mustard and vinegar are my two favorite condiments (well, besides hot sauce!)

    They look delicious (even though I am looking away from the onions!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could even serve some lemon rice with those tangy chicken! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum. You make the best things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We really love all kinds of fajitas and adding orange juice must add that special taste to make it even better/
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look really good! I prefer cooking with chicken to any other meat, so I will have to put this on my list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We like fajitas in our house too! I like the sauce you have used with them - the flavours sound great. From this week, I'm joining Chaya to co-host Let's Do Brunch, so I wanted to thank you for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete