Thursday, March 24, 2011

Southwestern Cream of Chicken Soup



Everyone loved this soup. Loved, loved, loved.  It was thick, warm and creamy.  95 degrees, humid and in the sun and I would still enjoy this soup. I can't wait to make it again!



Southwestern Cream of Chicken Soup
Adapted from For the Love of Cooking

1 tbsp. butter
1 red pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 tbsp. garlic
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tbsp. flour, divided (I used gluten free)
2 cups milk, 1%
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white rice, dry
Colby jack cheese, shredded (4 oz)
1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (6 oz)
Fresh cilantro (optional)

Melt butter over medium heat.  Add peppers, onion and spices.  Sweat the mixture for 5 - 6 minutes or until the veggies begin to soften.  Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. 

Whisk in 3 tbsp. of flour and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the chicken broth and milk, then whisk until smooth.  Add the rice and let simmer but do NOT BOIL for about 25 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.  Keep a watch that it doesn't boil.

Combine the cheese with the remaining 3 tbsp. of flour in a zip lock bag, toss to coat.  Coating the cheese with flour before adding to the soup helps prevent the cheese from separating in the soup.  Add the cheese to the soup a handful at a time, stirring to melt completely before adding the next handful.  Add chicken and cilantro and heat for another 3 - 5 minutes.  Taste the soup and re-season if neeed. 

Total calories = 1841 calories
7 cups = 263 per cup

1 1/2 cups Southwestern Cream of Chicken Soup = 396 calorie dinner


One Year Ago...









Irish Apple Mash

This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Show Me What You've Got at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christina's
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisley Passions




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

37 comments:

  1. I am always cold, so I'm pretty sure I could "tolerate" eating this soup year round. Looks so creamy delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat soup year-round and I LOVE creamy soups. They're my favourites. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks really good. We are having chili tonight. It's never too warm for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! We are soup lovers for lunch and often make a dinner with soup. This one would be a hit at our place.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its spring and im wearing a sweater. I would love to come home a bowl of this dream!
    I like a cream of anything really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't limit myself to eating soup only in the winter, either. This spicy soup is perfect any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my this looks wonderful. I love creamy soups but don't eat them often because of calories. I could do a cup of this though. yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a delicious thing for a cold day like this! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can eat soup anytime! This looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love creamy soups and the southwestern flavors are a total bonus! I can't wait to try this as stormy and rainy days are expected around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sure looks good. Living in Florida we really don't have soup season, or grilling season, so we do it all year. All this soup is missing is a few tortilla strips on top! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. bookmarked. That looks delicious! That is all I need to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! It's cold and wet here in PA so this would be a great meal for us! Did I read this wrong....No Beans in this recipe??? :)

    I can't wait to try this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this soup idea Debbi - and you know what a soup whore I am! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I would eat this soup all year round. Looks really good. I love that it says creamy but really isn't high in calories. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your recipe! Hope to try it out soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am on board for this wonderful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found your blog through a mutual blogger. This soup looks amazing. I love yummy low calorie meals!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can never turn down a good spicy soup, and this looks great! Thanks for posting on It's a keeper so I could find you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a soup lover! And I live in Florida, wher eit is never a good time for soup- but WHO CARES!!! I am printing your recipe out as we speak!!! Cant wait to try it!
    Visiting from Foodie Friday! Please hop on over and visit me at cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com and see my recipe!
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  21. MMMMMM...I love Mexican and this sounds so perfect. I can almost taste it now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks and sounds spicy good!

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love soups! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Be still my hungry heart! I adore this recipe. This one will be on the menu at StoneGable.
    I was thrilled to see that it didn't have any heavy cream in it (I am trying to ignore the fact that it has 2 cups of cheese).
    YUMMY!
    YVonne

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Debbi,
    I am sure you know by now that I would be the first one in line for this great soup. It just looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The weather may be warming up but a soup like this calls to us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had me at cream!! Sounds awesome...and I actually love eating soup in warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like something I would love! I eat soup during the summer too - this is too delicious not to!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks REALLY good, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love soup no matter how the weather is!! And your bowl is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I eat soup all year round here. ;-) This looks really creamy and delicious--thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful flavors in this soup and I love that you have the calories identified. Thank you!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love Southwestern anything. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks so good! I will have to try this soon! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks amazing! What a great summertime soup... Can't wait to make it :)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete