Saturday, March 19, 2011

Orange Amish Friendship Bread



I wasn't sure about putting jello into this cake.  It's gelatin so I didn't know how it would set. Well, it wasn't a problem.  It worked well.



It wasn't quite as orangy as I would have liked. It tasted great but it could have used more oranges.  I'd be tempted to use a large box of orange jello but that might over do it. Not sure.  Either way, it was a winner.


I am eager to try it with other flavors like strawberry! I'll wait until summer when strawberries are in season!

Check out Supermom's site!  She's having a giveaway for 2 loaves of Friendship bread!

You can find a bunch of information and recipes from The Friendship Kitchen!




Orange Amish Bread Recipe

1 cup amish starter
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 tbsp. applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 small box jello
1 - 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained well

Combine everything but oranges.  Stir well.  Add oranges carefully.  Spray 2 - 8 x 8 pans (or 2 loaf pans) with cooking spray.  Pour batter into pans and bake for 1 hour at 325.

One Year Ago...











Cinnamon & Lime Chicken Fajitas

This is linked up with Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Just another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. I love orange cake and this sounds really good. Looks very moist too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi, you have absolutely won me over with the friendship bread recipes! Love the link for the Friendship site, must investigate.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks fabulous; always been curious about friendship cake; thank you for sharing this information; going to check it out.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very interesting, have made a note of it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating, Debbi. I've never seen a recipe with Jello in it before! Going to take a look at the Friendship site now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture, pass a fluffy piece over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your amish friendship bread... this will never get old for you, will it? ;) I'm fascinated by the fact that you baked with gelatin! Never heard of anyone doing that before, so that's pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love amish friendship bread. It taste so good, but this is one that I haven't tried before. I will have to share it with my kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your Amish Friendship breads! Orange is a great flavor and I'd have never though to add jello into the mix! Crazy idea. Maybe if you grated some orange zest into the batter, it would be more orange-y?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in as another fan of your Amish friendship breads. I remember many many years ago making one and it was delicious. I love orange and I agree, strawberry would be great too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this looks and sounds good! Always like your Amish friendship bread recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Saw ur blog at Meatless Monday Blog hop..Im your new follower.I like to bake my own bread and this one is for me. thanks Marelie www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting - although jello isn't vegetarian.

    Stopping by from the blog hop!

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg...brings back a lot of memories. Several years ago I was on an amish friendship bread kick! My friend and I tried to make as many varieties as possible! never thought about adding jello though! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete