Thursday, March 3, 2011

Naked Chicken Burrito Bowls




We eat a lot of Mexican food here. Tex mex, southwestern, whatever.  Tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos; one or more usually make a weekly appearance on the menu. 

We all also like our meals different.  The boys are boring and like plain chicken and cheese; the daughter doesn't like onions; the brother loves tons of lettuce but no tomato and cheese; I like mine as a salad with lots of sour cream, no cheese; Hubs like his with salsa, no sour cream. 

So laying it all out like this, really works for us.  Everyone gets to build what they want and how they want. 

Plus it's just FUN. 


Tonight we made these with chicken but we often use ground turkey as well. I usually use the same taco seasoning for both. 

I like to make homemade chips. I use 100 calorie whole wheat tortilla chips, sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Yum.  They tastes better and are healthier than bagged chips.  In my opinion. 

So when is your next build your own taco night? 


Naked Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe
Adapted from One Crazy Cookie

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I cut mine into strips

Cilantro Rice:
3 cups cooked rice
2 - 3 tbsp. lime juice (to taste)
several tbsp. of cilantro

Taco Seasoning:
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 avocados, peeled and sliced
1-2 diced tomatoes
diced onion
shredded lettuce
salsa
sour cream

Mix taco seasoning. Place chicken breast strips in a large resealable plastic bag, add a couple of tbsp. of water, pour seasoning mixture over top and turn to coat. Refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours to all day.
Make Cilantro Rice.
Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade (or add it all to the pan like I do). Cook chicken in pan until done.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Heat beans in microwave or in a small sauce pan. I sauteed some garlic and added it to the beans.  

Spread everything out and let everyone dig in.  

Serve with taco shells, tortillas, chips or as a salad!


One Year Ago...


Chipotle Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie


23 comments:

  1. I like the 'naked' chicken bit :) Shame it has not even got its skin. Love this recipe. DFiane

    ReplyDelete
  2. These salads sound great, and your right, it works well for a family meal. Everyone can get (and eat) what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the connection to a year ago as well. both are great! thanks for sharing!
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love to come and check out your healthy recipes. We are just discovering mexican food is really good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum an what a great idea. We love taco night because the kids get to build their own tacos, I'm gonna do this one night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks good and with something like that it is easy to please picky people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I <3 burrito bowls. It's 8 in the morning, and thanks to you I want one now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really looks wonderful and everyone loves Mexican food, Yours looks delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems that we do a lot of Mexican style foods too. I think they are easier recipes? And my oldest, the one who wouldn't like them, is away at college so one less palate to please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You reminded me that we used to have Taco Tuesday...need to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love everything Tex Mex too. I don't think I could survive without it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a while since we've made anything like this! It's just the 2 of us eating Mexican for now, so I usually just throw it all together in the pan. But I'm sure in the near future, when Grace eats more than just mac n cheese, I'll be preparing everything separate!

    I've been looking for a taco seasoning recipe...can't wait to try yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbi, these look great! I love taco nights -- we haven't had one in a super long time, and need to revitalize it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this Debbie - I have to get into healthier eating and plan to use your blog to inspire me! The cilantro rice is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Debbi
    I just love this idea to build your own, it is always so much fun. Your Food always looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can never go wrong with Mexican food in my book - we do Taco fiesta that same way - lots of little bowls of stuff so everyone can have the perfect taco - now you just reminded me that I need to make that cilantro lime rice - that's my favorite part of the Chipotle bowl.

    Have a great weekend Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still loving on these naked burrito bowls... so much fun and so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, this looks so good right now:) thank you for sharing this and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever put lime juice on tortilla chips? Mmmmm. I need to try your suggestion for chips because they are one of my favorites and most of the bagged ones are either super unhealthy or really bland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love Mexican food, too! I love this make-yourself dinner idea. Thankfully me and J eat the same things, so I'm not at that point yet. How cool that you made your own cilantro lime rice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a fun win-win dinner to me-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie I had to laugh, blogger world is such a small world :). It's so funny Tiffanee who you linked to actually linked to me in her post for this recipe ... lol! I love it!!

    I'm going to make this again tonight with the cilantro rice. YUM

    ReplyDelete