Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lemon Chicken Pasta Salad


I hosted Presto Pasta Nights a couple of weeks ago.  I received many, many wonderful recipes.  This one intrigued me with the use of lemons and yogurt in the sauce.  So I made it, right away.


The interesting thing about this dish, is that it's equally good, hot or cold. We ate it hot for dinner. But then as a cold salad the next day.  Both were very enjoyable. 


Diane uses salmon instead of chicken in her recipe.  I can see where the lemon and salmon would be a good mix. I tend to be more of a chicken fan so we went with the chicken.




Lemon Chicken Pasta Salad Recipe
Adapted from Diane from My Life in the Charente


18 oz. greek yogurt (3 - 6 oz. tubs)
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. grated lemon peel (1 large lemon)
1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 cup peas
Pasta (I used Barilla Whole Grain, Rotini, about 8 oz)
Salt and pepper

Combine yogurt, milk and lemon peel.  Mix and set aside.
Cook pasta and drain.
Saute onions in cooking spray for a couple of minutes, add red pepper and peas and cook for about 3 minutes. 
Reduce heat to low and add cooked and drained pasta, shredded chicken and yogurt lemon mixture. Gently stir to coat and heat through. 
Serve warm or cold.

Total calories = 1750 calories
6 servings = 292 calories per serving

One Year Ago...











Shredded Beef, Bean & Corn Fajitas

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast.

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Show Me What You've Got at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christina's
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisley Passions
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Citrus at Life as Mom


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

18 comments:

  1. I love that with this you get a creamy pasta that's still crazy healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe just has to be good; great combination of ingredients and good for you too; love it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the use of yogurt instead of mayo. I could go up for seconds and not feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy and tasty - perfection! Thanks for sharing your twist with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbi,
    I just love Greek Yogurt and it adds alot to this recipe. Great combination for this dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Greek yogurt, and with the wonderful flavor of lemon, this is a delicious looking pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds interesting, Lovely flavor I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It amazes me how you keep food healthy, no matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very creamy and comforting pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love absolutely everything you have combined here. This has to be delicious. I'm going to make this soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a super combo, Debbi. The yogurt with lemon would give this a lovely fresh tang. Easy to make and lo-cal to boot. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is an interesting flavor combination. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a refreshing recipe! Lovely!

    I'm hosting a wonderful tea sampler GIVEAWAY! Come check it out when you have time.

    http://utry.it/2011/04/two-leaves-and-bud-tea-company-product.html

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how on these recipe exchanges, one dish will riff off another, and we adapt and new creations are born. This sounds so good, I'm going to do a version with some left-over chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debbi, featuring this wonderful recipe on Wednesday's wanderings, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dish! Thanks for sharing, I just love your site.

    ReplyDelete