Monday, March 14, 2011

Butternut Squash Penne Pasta & Presto Pasta Nights




I'm hosting Presto Pasta Nights this week!  Email me or add to the comments, your pasta dish and I'll include it in the round up on Friday! Crabbymomofthree at comcast dot net

So I stalk visit Joannes blog daily.  She always has something awesome going on there.  I loved the idea of this dish but knew I would have to alter it. A lot. 

Like I used ground turkey rather than lamb.  And I used cheese that I can pronounce rather than Halloumi or Kasseri cheese.  Yes, I live in a bubble.  I used parmesan.

I'd love to be able to use the excuse and say that I simplified this recipe because I have 10 - 12 kids around me at any given moment and I don't have time to deal with lamb and halloumi. Joanne however is surrounded by medical textbooks that use words like glomerulonephritis and malabsorptive and oligoarticular.  This sounds equally annoying as 10 kids so I really have no excuse. 

She also uses really good words like squash and pasta.  Those words in the same sentence are music to my ears! 


Despite my simplication of this recipe, it was super delicious!  Squash and pasta just belong together.

The fact that this was filling, healthy, low calorie makes this one that I will make over and over again! 



Butternut Squash Penne Recipe
Adapted from Eats Well With Others

Large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into smaller cubes (I had 3 lbs, 10 oz)
1 lb. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth (more if necessary)
14 oz. multi-grain or whole wheat pasta (I used Barilla Plus)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Spray squash with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer squash to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender and brown around the edges, 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.


2. Saute ground turkey and onions in cooking spray. Saute until ground turkey is browned and onions soften, about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and spices; stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in squash. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


3. Cook pasta in large pot of salted boiling water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Return pasta to the pot. Add turkey squash mixture, half of the cilantro, and half of the cheese. Toss.  Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro and cheese.

Total calories = 2800 calories
10 huge servings = 280 calories per serving

2 servings Butternut Squash Penne = 560 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...









Quinoa Black Bean Cold Salad

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory

Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

25 comments:

  1. Butternut is my favourite vegetable I think so this has to be good. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm I love the idea of squash with pasta! This I must try. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laughs--funny post!
    The pasta looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 - 12 kids.
    *needs a drink*
    lol
    I love the combo of butternut squash and pasta together! deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you've adapted this to suit your tastes and your family. It sounds awesome! Joanne's blog is a hoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, yum! this looks so good... i love all of the flavors that are going on!

    thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Love butternut squash! Hey, I'm hosting bsi this week, come and pay me a visit!

    http://mykitchenadventures1.blogspot.com/2011/03/buttermilk-baking-powder-biscuits-and.html

    and I am going to check out your presto pasta nights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing this over at Joanne's blog. Your adaptation sounds very good and kid friendly, which is a must at my house, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbi,
    Just love your squash and pasta together. Thank you for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am one of Joannes'e stalkers too! We should start a club. Love this pasta - you took it and made it all your own with your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it sounds good with the ground turkey. I love the colors of the squash in this pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another of Joanne's stalkers here too. :)
    I love what you've done with this recipe! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in as a Joanne stalker! You did a great job making her recipe your own - it looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love butternut squash! Great recipe!

    I posted a Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff recipe on my blog. I would love to be part of your Friday round up.

    http://mykindofcooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/slow-cooker-chicken-stroganoff.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally count me in on presto pasta nights with my Crock Pot Lasagna. Everybody needs to know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pasta dish sounds wonderful, and I've got two butternut squash sitting in the fridge so it's perfect timing for your recipe! I like how you have put your own touches on Joanne's recipe - it looks delicious.

    Can I join in your Presto Pasta Night with my Sausage and Balsamic Roast Shallot Pasta please? http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/index/Blog/Entries/2011/2/22_Sausage_and_Balsamic_Roast_Shallot_Pasta.html

    Thanks Debbie, and thanks for sharing the squash penne recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never added squash to pasta and I am going to put it on my list of things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing all the great recipes that you do!! (and I love that you wrote "stalk Joanne" then crossed out stalk. Too funny!) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious! I picked up a butternut squash from the supermarket a few days ago planning to make a soup with it, but I think I'll try this instead :)

    I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop and that's how I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good! I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am SO glad you made and liked this dish Debbi and I LOVE the changes you made! The whole thing sounds SO good. And I am flattered by so many of the above sweet comments. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to invite you to join my Recipe Linky Party on my blog: http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/
    "Made it on Monday" is a weekly post, so you can add recipes & join in at any time. :)

    I hope to see your recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just Stopping by from TMTT. I love anything with pasta in it. I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month's themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i think i would prefer the turkey to lamb in this too! looks yummy! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete