Monday, March 7, 2011

BLT Hummus Wraps



I love hummus.  We're talking L.O.V.E.  One of the problems is my self control.  Put me around some chips and hummus and stand back people!  It isn't pretty.  Granted, the hummus I make is healthy and has very little oil but still.  I need to learn some self control. 

I even think about hummus a lot. I know, still working on that self control issue.

I was thinking about a bacon hummus. Bacon makes everything better, right?  I thought about adding the bacon right to the hummus but then thought about that little self control issue. Hmmm...  How about adding hummus to a BLT?  I figured not quite as dangerous as me, chips and a bowl of hummus. 


It was awesome.  I could enjoy my hummus AND put into practice a little self control, I mean, how many of these babies can you eat!  I managed to eat two for dinner and was more than satisfied.  I also used turkey bacon which tastes great and is way more healthy. 

I ended up putting a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease in the hummus, it didn't really taste that much.  I usually put a bit of sesame oil in hummus but was hoping the bacon taste would come out more.  The turkey bacon doesn't yield much oil so I used my refrigerator reserves.  I think skipping the bacon grease would be fine, the turkey bacon had enough bacon taste for me. It was really good as a BLT wrap!! 



BLT Hummus Wraps Recipe

1 pack of turkey bacon (about 20 slices), cooked
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Hummus:
   1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (save some of liquid)
   2 tbsp. bacon grease (or olive oil)
   1/4 cup chopped onion
   4 cloves garlic
   Salt

Cook chopped onion in bacon grease or olive oil for about 7 - 9 minutes on medium.  Add garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.  Turn off heat.  Combine chickpeas and onion mixture to food processor.  Add bean liquid as needed for consistency.  Taste and add salt as desired.  Yield about 1 1/3 cups.

Spread 2 tbsp. hummus on 100 calorie whole wheat tortilla. Add 2 pieces turkey bacon and toppings as desired. 

Total calories for hummus = 640 calories, about 30 calories per tablespoons
Total calories per wrap - about 250 calories

2 BLT Hummus Wraps = 500 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...







Pepper Jack Turkey Quesadillas with Cranberry Salsa

This is linked with:

Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at Hearth n Soul Hub
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

25 comments:

  1. YUM hummus! If I sit down with some pretzels and hummus, I can pretty much finish off the whole container too! And this sounds soooo good!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't eat many wraps here, and I don't know why. This sounds wonderful. thanks Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't love hummus, but I love the pita bread when I spread some hummus on top:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I love hummus too and could eat it with almost anything :)

    The Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had hummus before, but I will have to try some! I love wraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hummus and never thought to add it to a BLT instead of mayo, sure is healthier! Have you ever tried adding avocado to a BLT? It is Delicous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love my hummus' what great idea to incorporate in a wrap; sounds wonderful!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a huge fan of hummus too. I have actually been known to eat is for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to add that I love your blt wrap idea with the hummus. I will have to try that next time I make hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made a huge batch oh hummus this weekend. Think I will pick up some wraps and give this a try. Sounds like a great quick night dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum woman, this is a good idea too. My husband loves a BLT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make me so hungry and you have such a great variety of foods on the menu. I just read about your success at the buffet line! That was so inspiring. I just did the same over the weekend as the hubby indulged in the bread, potatoes and ice cream at the restaurant and I did the fish and green salad. I felt like a small victory was made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love BLT's and hummus,but it never dawned on me to put them together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love blt's...and I like hummus. I bet they taste great together! I will have to give it a try sometime. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hummus too - and if you and I were in the same room I may push you to the side so I could get more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I love hummus--this sounds like a great way to have it for a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love hummus! Great recipe.

    Thanks for sharing. Here's the recipe I posted if you are interested:
    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/03/creamy-swiss-chicken-bake.html

    Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're funny. But it does sound very good, and with or without the turkey bacon. I'd probably just use bacon bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love hummus. Thanks for sharing such a quick and easy recipe for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love BLT's - what a yummy combo you have put together! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing!! Definitely making them soon. I featured you today on my blog. Stop on by and pick up a featured button!

    http://flexibledreams.blogspot.com/2011/03/featuring-tasty-treats.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds wonderful. Thank-you.

    Linda

    http://leadingahealthylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. deb--so you don't use tahini in your hummus? i have to try your version because without the tahini it has to be lower in fat and calories. i have some venison bacon in the freezer, i will give it a try with this. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! I love hummus too and I keep thinking that I will try my hand at making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I like! I've never seen a hummus recipe like yours so I'll have to try it that way, with no tahini and onion. Girl, hummus is my favorite food of all time! I totally understand the self control thing.

    ReplyDelete