Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Beef & Vegetable Pot Pie




I've made several chicken pot pies but this was my first beef one. The recipe called for ground sirloin but I used beef stew chunks instead.

As you can see, my lattice crust wasn't much of a lattice.  I just piled them on top of each other.  Sorry, I'm not very crafty.  :-)


I ended up adding a lot more veggies than called for in this.  I sorta took a couple of recipes and tried to make it my own.  I LOVED how it was packed with veggies.


The recipe called for 8 oz. of mushrooms as well, we're just not mushroom fans here but I'll bet that would be good!

The bread was quite plain.  When I make this again, I will spread just a bit of butter and garlic powder on the breadsticks to flavor them a bit.

We all found this to be delicious!



Beef & Vegetable Pot Pie Recipe

1 lb. stew meat, cut into fairly small chunks
2 cups zucchini
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups carrot, chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz can beef broth
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. water
Cooking spray
1 (11 oz) can refrigerated soft breadstick dough

Heat cooking spray in pan, add beef, cook until browned.  Add  onion, carrot, basil, and thyme, saute for about 5 minutes.  Add zucchini and garlic, saute for another 2 minutes.  Stir in wine, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, pepper and broth.  Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.  Combine cornstarch and 2 tbsp. water in a small bowl, stir with a whisk.  Add cornstarch mixture to pan, cook for a minute until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. 

Spoon beef mixture into an 9 x 13 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Separate breadstick dough into strips.  Arrange strips in a lattice fashion over beef mixture.  Bake at 400 for 12 minutes or until browned. 

Total calories = 2326 calories
8 servings = 291 calories per serving

Beef & Vegetable Pot Pie + Salad = 411 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Boneless Honey BBQ Ribs in the Slow Cooker



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

12 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy and I cannot see anything wrong with your lattice crust. Once eaten they all taste the same :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look yummy. I bet it will be even better leftover! I'm visiting from WFMW. Today I posted about monthly menu planning/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great easy recipe; love the idea of using bread sticks for the crust; perfect!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum sounds and looks yummy. Kids would eat this even. We are not mushroom fans either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds great. It looks just like my lattice tops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a serving of this. It looks and sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your beef and veggie pie! Very delicious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh. I hope you are feeling better. Your beef pot pit looks just fine to me...I bet it was delicious. Thanks for linking up to What's On the Menu Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these veggies would make this dish a winner for me! I love it when comfort food can be made healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you can use all sorts of veggies-good way to use up some that are getting ready to turn. I am going to use this tomorrow night with some turnips. Thanks for posting.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my that does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. m'mm! this looks so good!

    i'm hosting a blog hop called mangia mondays & i would love you to share this and any other recipe you may have!

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete