Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beef Stew with Butternut Squash & Chickpeas

Have I mentioned my love of butternut squash and chickpeas? I'm sure I have.  I now buy chickpeas in bulk.  Is that wrong?  I can't tell you how often I'm making something and it crossed my mind "I should add a can of chickpeas to this!" 

Just wait until I make chickpea cookies!

Beef Stew with Butternut Squash & Chickpeas

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp. garlic
1 1/4 lbs. lean beef stew meat
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. curry paste
Dash cayenne (to taste)
1/4 cup red wine
4 cups beef stock (8 bouillon cubes, 4 cups water)
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
2 lbs. butternut squash cubes, peeled & cubed
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)

Heat small bit of cooking spray in nonstick pan, add onions and carrots and cook 5 minutes, until soft.  Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.  Mix flour with curry powder and sprinkle over the beef.  Add beef to onion mixture and cook, without stirring for about 4 - 5 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with red wine, then add beef stock.  Add curry paste. Bring all to boil then reduce to simmer.  Cover with a tight fitting lid or pour into a casserole dish with lid and place in oven at 325 for 1 hour.  Stir in chickpeas and squash and cook for another 40 - 45 minutes until squash is soft.  Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired. Yield 10 slightly heaping cup.

Total calories = 2215 calories
10 servings = 222 calories per serving

2 cups Beef Stew = 444 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...

Cheesy Cornbread Muffins

This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Show Me What You've Got at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisley Passions

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. I would have never thought to put butternut in stew, but what a great idea. thanks.

  2. This sounds like it could be added to my favourite recipe list! Diane

  3. You like butternut squash? Get out! ;-)
    I'm fond of chickepeas too. Was in heaven last weekend--went out for falafel and dipped it in hummus. Can't wait to see the cookies!

  4. This sounds so good... I bet it would even be good without the beef and with more chickpeas! :)

  5. This looks so tasty, I love butternut squash in soups!

  6. I did notice that you do like butternut squash. Which is good...I always know where to come when I need a butternut squash recipe. And chickpeas? :D

  7. this sounds good. hubby will like it for the beef, and i will like it for the veggies. perfect! i will not rest until i make this! :)

  8. Hi Debbi,
    This is a great stew for today. I love the addition of the know I am such a fan of the Butternut. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

  9. Love chickpeas! and we've been trying butternut squash a couple of times now. We just got some stew beef in on our last trip to Costco! I see this recipe in our near future! Thanks!

  10. Oh, definitely my kinda meal...sounds amazing!

  11. Okay, if you won't make a big deal about your birthday - I will!!!!!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. A very hearty and colorful soup. I love my chick peas too. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

  13. Wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to the It's a Keeper Thursday blog hop! Be sure to come back next week and link something new!

    Christina @ It's a Keeper

  14. I think this would be great done in the slow cooker.