Thursday, March 10, 2011

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas



I won some BBQ Sauce and BBQ spice rub from Butch's from Alison at Under the Big Oak Tree.  

I first used it to make some pulled pork sandwiches. I used the rub on the pork loin, let it sit overnight, then stuck it in the crockpot, shredded and added more BBQ sauce.  Delicious! 


Then I saw another perfect opportunity for this sauce.  Enchiladas.  My favorite.


These turned out perfectly!  Higher in calories than I usually like but they were certainly worth it. 




This recipe is doubled, we put 10 enchiladas in a 9 x 13 pan and 5 in a 8 x 8 pan to freeze for later.

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

3 lbs. boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
3 (28 oz) cans red enchilada sauce
1 cup BBQ Sauce (I used Butch's, use whatever you would like)
1 large sweet onion
2 tbsp. BBQ Seasoning (I used Butch's)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (more to taste)
8 oz. cheddar cheese
4 oz. colby jack cheese
15 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas

Heat onions in small bit of cooking spray in a non stick pan for about 7 - 10 minutes until soft.  While onions are cooking, dump enchilada sauce into a bowl and whisk in your favorite BBQ sauce until combined. 

Add shredded chicken to onions with BBQ seasoning and cayenne pepper.  Mix thoroughly. Pour in about 1 1/2 cups of enchilada/BBQ sauce mixture and add 1/2 of the cheese. Stir until combined and melted. 

Pour a drizzle of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.  Take each tortilla and fill it with about 1/3 of a cup of chicken mixture.  Roll each up and set it in the baking dish.  Dump remaining enchilada sauce on top of tortillas and add remaining cheese.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.   
Total calories = 5284 calories
15 servings = 352 calories per enchilada

1 BBQ Chicken Enchilada = 352 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Chicken & Broccoli Pie

This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Show Me What You've Got at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisley Passions
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Company Favorites at Life as Mom
Eat At Homes Ingredient Spotlight: Chicken




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

23 comments:

  1. YUM! Great idea pairing 2 of my favorite things! Butch's and Enchiladas!!!

    I need to place an order at Butch's, I'm all out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum pulled pork sandwiches sound really good right now. And those enchiladas sound yummy. I've never heard of Butch's hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I've been on a quasi-Mexican kick lately. I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the BBQ win! Debbi, you always have dishes that are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enchiladas are my favourite too - especially chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you hop a plane and come and cook for me!? :) Your meals ALWAYS look soooo good! Have a wonderful day, congrats on the bbq sauce/spice win. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbi, you are a genius. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmm that is an idea I am taking. I have to get me some of that sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made enchiladas last night in my crock pot and adding bbq sauce would have been awesome! Thanks for the idea. Sadly, they were all eaten by my family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look unreal. Hot and spicy enchiladas, what a great warming homemade meal! It's a Keeper!http://yvettesblogs.com/2011/03/08/pumpkin-and-ginger-soup/

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG - these look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbi,
    Wow I never thought of putting BBQ with Enchilada, but it really is a great idea. It looks delicious and very moist. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Combining bbq and enchiladas you are so brilliant! Ooooh they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the combination!! And as I was typing up my zucchini lasagan recipe, I even thought to myself "Debbi is going to add onions!"

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice win, Debbi! And you put your prizes to good use too!
    Great idea to combine the BBQ sauce with enchiladas. Never would have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds delicious!
    Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. As many times as I've made enchiladas I never thought of using BBQ sauce. That is definitely a new twist and one worth trying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The enchiladas look sooo good. I have to try the recipe!
    I'm a new follower from the hop. Hope you can find time to follow back:
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of a barbecue chicken enchilada! A nice change from the usual ones. The sauces look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks and sounds REALLY good! I will have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete