Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweet & Savory Roast




I love a good roast. It's perfect crock pot food.  Perfect for cold days. 


I added sweet potatoes to this.  I think they have more flavor than regular potatoes and they are pretty too!

This recipe is from Stephanie from A Year of Slow Cooking.  Check out her new book!  It's amazing!




Sweet & Savory Roast Recipe
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

3 pounds beef rump or chuck roast

2 onions, sliced in rings
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
2 cups beef broth
2 cups baby carrots
4 baked potatoes, cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunksThe Directions.
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the roast into the bottom of your pot, and add onion slices, separated into rings. Pour in brown sugar, vinegar, and ketchup. Toss in carrots and potatoes.  Pour broth evenly over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the meat has reached desired tenderness. I wait about 2 hours later before adding the sweet potatoes as they cook quicker.


If you find your meat isn't quite as tender as you'd like prior to serving, remove it from the pot, cut it into a few pieces, then return to the crock, and cook on high for about an hour. Tough and/or dry meat isn't from over slow cooking--it's from under slow cooking!

One Year Ago...








Ham, Egg & Cheese Quesadillas

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Lets Do Brunch at My Sweet & Savory

Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's On Your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Crock pot Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays at Scrap Addict 4 Sure

11 comments:

  1. Hubby was so excited last week when I fixed roast in the crock pot..it's his favorite. And...it was delicious. The flavors just jump out because of the long, low braising period. YUM. Hope you are posting this to CPW this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never cooked a beef joint in my crock pot, must give it a try. We also love sweet potatoes. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sandwich you linked up is very inviting. I wish I could set up a real table with all the wonderful food that gets linked up.

    Thanks for your support at Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. growing up, roasts in my home were only prepared in the crock pot. This recipe is pure comfort to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds amazing so delicious perfect for a family sit down dinner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I don't make roasts that often! Yours looks delish, great for a Sunday dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love love my crockpot; thank you for sharing this recipe; she does have good one.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful, Debbi. I can do it in the oven, I'm sure, with a few adjustments. My crock pot is long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. Serve me a plate. It looks and sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like I'm all about the sweet potatoes lately! Loving this dish...especially since it's a slow cooker dish!

    ReplyDelete