Monday, February 21, 2011

Southwestern Butternut Squash




This was seriously one of my favorite meals. I know, I've said that a lot but seriously. Look at this. What's not to love?!


I get so sad when I see squash pair up with heavy creams, butter and sugar. It is so healthy and low calorie that all that just seems unnecessary.


Don't get me wrong, I'm all about flavor! This squash was super flavorful with just a hint of sweetness. We all loved it!

We paired this with southwestern sloppy joes with honey lime coleslaw.  I can't think of a better meal.





Southwest Butternut Squash Recipe
Adapted from Laines Recipes


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 teaspoon chopped cilantro


Heat olive oil in pan. Add the squash, onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss thoroughly to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and lightly browned. About 20 minutes. Remove from heat.


In a small saucepan, melt the butter over very low heat. Add the coriander, cumin, chile powder, and the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring for a minute or two to soften the spices. Add the maple syrup, simmer for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Stir in the lime juice.


Drizzle the butter mixture over the squash and stir thoroughly but gently to incorporate. Add the cilantro and fold in gently. Serve.

One Year Ago...









Very Veggie Chicken Fajitas

This is my submission to this weeks BSI: CUMIN hosted by The Balance Broad.

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac
Made By You  Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at Girlichef
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
 Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace






Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

17 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! I agree with the heavy cream, butter and sugar being unnecessary. Must try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think butternut is my most favourite vegetable.This sounds delicious and the way I like it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The squash does look really good. I can see why it is one of your new favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with your feelings on the squash/fat combination. Butternut is so sweet on its own; all it needs is a little salt! Thanks for a new and different spin on one of my favorite veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squash is my FAVE! This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this southwest twist for squash! Delicious. The sloppy joes look crazy good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, with those awesome flavors, this would become a fast favorite of mine, too! And I say that all the time, too...AND MEAN IT EVERY TIME! Thanks for sharing this great dish with the hearth and soul hop this week, Debbi =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to cook with squash more. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sold :), I love you flavor mixtures here. Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  10. As luck would have it, the BSI this week is . . . CUMIN!

    http://thebalancebroad.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/what-i-wore-today-and-bsi/

    You should submit this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right; this meals sounds like the perfect blend of flavours to make it super tasty and it looks pretty good too.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely delicious and very different. I also printed off the lime/cilantro cole slaw and Sloppy Joes. Great ideas! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on that! What is not to love about that meal?! I love savory squash and sweet potatoes and don't care for them made into heavy sweet dishes. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious Debbi! You are so right about all the other ingredients being unnecessary. The beef stew recipe you just post also sounds great. Thanks for sharing!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just looks so delicious. I love squash too - and all the wonderful flavors and spices you put in this just seems perfect. I can see why it is a favorite! Thanks for linking to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. another great way to eat butternut squash. i am with you when it comes to embellishing. it is fine for pie, but this stuff is great with little enhancement! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE butternut squash and cumin...so you better believe I will be trying this! Thank you so much for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete